Brumation and Hybrids

David Salas

Location (City and/or State)
I have a baby CB hybrid box turtle, and since it has Florida Eastern, 3 toed and ornate genes, I was wondering if it may have an inability to brumate, I'm thinking because of the Florida location . I live in South Carolina and winter's here are colder then Florida but milder then up north.?????

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
It probably can. Even here in Fl, it still gets cold in some parts with some nights in the winter reaching freezing and overcast days in the 60s. I assume the Fl boxies up in more north florida kind of take a pause of activity for a while during the cooler months. Especially with all those other genes of ones that do hibernate, I think it should be fine. In South Carolina it seems okay as well. Just wait for a second opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have several Florida box turtles and all of them brumate.

Corpus Christi, TX
All American Boxie's brumate...Its more a function of temperature over sustained days. I can recall several sustained winter days in the Low Country of 30s and 40s with dips into the 20s during cold fronts but that was 30 years ago. I don't think it matters if you are in the Upstate, Midlands, or Low Country. Having said that, here in South Texas we have extremely mild winters and a winter day of 35 degrees is a rarity. More like 50s - 60s with an occasional dip into the low 40s. In this case, mine burry themselves and are inactive but I don't think they achieve complete brumation as we have wild temperature spikes to the 60s on some winter days.