Brrr...Heat in Colder Climates

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey everyone!

Fall knocked on the first of October, and we went from beautiful to blustery overnight. I live in an older building, and the sudden temperature drop had us scrambling for long sleeves.

This is also making a difference in my tortoise enclosure, and while I was able to get a reading of 94F off her shell sitting under her basking light a moment ago, I can tell by the general use of her space that it's just not warm enough in there.

Since we're only getting started in terms of "cold weather", I wanted to ask for some short-term and longer-term solutions to keeping things toasty.

Current Heat Sources:

Light - 100W MVB @ 12" from the substrate
CHE hooked to hydrofarm thermostat set to 80 (probe in her favored hide)
Small Zoomed Undertank Heater attached to the side next to her hide

I'm not sure exactly the size of my tub but it's Rubbermaid and sits on a wooden side table.

Her enclosure is currently sitting in my living room. It's already topped with foil and looking like I am trying to slow roast a tortoise. I've seen mention of Styrofoam sheets, which I like the sound of, but wouldn't necessarily help the eyesore issue. I thought maybe of covering them with something...?

I have the plexiglass sheet to make a top for my enclosure, but am waiting to get a better idea if I am going to need to add lights, etc. before cutting it.

I've looked at lots of suggestions, from human heating pads to incandescent bulbs, but I am too unfamiliar with this to keep guessing (and spending money where I probably wouldn't have, had I asked here first!). I also want to make sure I set this up the safest way possible.

It dropped to -15F in Pittsburgh at night last winter. I am a born and bred Cali girl (northern), so my entire being sort of went into uncomprehending shock LOL. I need to be ready so I can keep my baby safe :)

Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

(Attaching a pic of my current enclosure set up. I took the foil off to show the set up)Enclosure 10.4.jpg

Lexiii

CT
I keep a CHE at either end of the enclosure set to 85 so they will kick on when it gets cold here. It gets cold at night because I'm too cheap to keep the heat on downstairs when we sleep upstairs. The CHE's keep him nice and warm.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I keep a CHE at either end of the enclosure set to 85 so they will kick on when it gets cold here. It gets cold at night because I'm too cheap to keep the heat on downstairs when we sleep upstairs. The CHE's keep him nice and warm.

Hi Lexiii, thank you for the reply!

Can I ask what thermostat you are using? I have a hydrofarm and I can't seem to get it to push up past 80--I thought that was the cap. Maybe I need to dig out the instructions again!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
You could move the enclosure into a smaller room, and Keep that room warmer.

Thanks, Jodie :)

This building has been converted into 3 units, so pretty much all the rooms are the same size and at weird angles LOL. We just moved in over the summer, so I have no experience with how it will do with extreme cold. (It also has those old metal wall radiators that scared the bejeezus out of us the other day when they kicked on and started hissing and spitting.) I picked the living room so I could keep an eye on her, and also because it's our most active area and where we focus most of our heat in the winter time.

Maybe I will take my handy dandy temp gun and start spot checking all over the apartment! ....because my partner doesn't already think I'm crazy enough.

Lexiii

CT
Hi Lexiii, thank you for the reply!

Can I ask what thermostat you are using? I have a hydrofarm and I can't seem to get it to push up past 80--I thought that was the cap. Maybe I need to dig out the instructions again!
I have two hydrofarms and an Apollo (for hedgehog). I tried one with a dial that stunk, but the digital ones work great.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
You could build something like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

This will stay warm inside a refrigerator.

… a very large refrigerator...

Haha, Tom! I have read that awesome project of yours, and I adore you for your faith in my abilities--especially since I just figured out how to turn my thermostat past 80, thanks to @Lexiii and downloading the instructions again....

Those radiant heat panels are as slick as they come, though! But first, I should probably start by finding out if youtube can teach me how to cut plexiglass...LOL :<3:

Thank you, Lexiii! I bumped it up to 85F and I can already see her moving into the other parts of her enclosure again! I will probably still need to look into insulation, but that fixed it for now! :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha, Tom! I have read that awesome project of yours, and I adore you for your faith in my abilities--especially since I just figured out how to turn my thermostat past 80, thanks to @Lexiii and downloading the instructions again....

Those radiant heat panels are as slick as they come, though! But first, I should probably start by finding out if youtube can teach me how to cut plexiglass...LOL :<3:

Thank you, Lexiii! I bumped it up to 85F and I can already see her moving into the other parts of her enclosure again! I will probably still need to look into insulation, but that fixed it for now! :cool:

Lowes or HD would cut the plexi for you.

If this is beyond your capabilities, consider hiring someone to build it for you. This type of enclosure makes maintaining the correct conditions so much easier and efficient.