Brown cherry hatchling

allegraf

10 Year Member!
This is the brownest cherry I have ever hatched or seen, I am curious if it will darken up like the majority of the hatchlings. So far it seems to be getting lighter. It is also a very neat salmon orange color as well.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no idea! But it's beautiful! N2torts would be your best bet on answers to your questions .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very neat ....almost looks like a hypo. Will be neat to see coloring as it matures. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Neat stuff Allegra! If that little hardtop stays brown it will definitely be a unique head turner. Imagine if it starts marbling...oh the possibilities!!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Truly unique and beautiful.

Is this one or with other egg are incubated under any different condition?

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Wow thanks for sharing the pics, a very unique little guy for sure!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here are some pics of the face, plastron and a cute pic of the baby doing a split. It will be really interesting to see if he maintains the lightness.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Beautiful head coloring ... I knew you had some high orange/red adults.....unusual plastron markings for a " Brazilian" much lighter indeed. Xtra nice Neo~nate no doubt....Congrads! :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
This is a Biloxi baby. Biloxi is a plain cherry with a nice high domed shell with marbling. The dad is one of the cherry males. She has never been exposed to any other males except cherry males. This is her second year laying eggs. All the other clutches came out normal. I will try to get some pics of her later. The plastron is starting to darken up, it was all pale upon hatching.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It will eventually darken up. The group we work with throws a few of these a year. By the time they hit 4" there will only be a slight difference between siblings. Usually by 5", you would never be able to tell who hatched out that light. Just like with any Tortoise, the more you keep them inside, the longer they will retain that lighter pigment.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
EricIvins said:
It will eventually darken up. The group we work with throws a few of these a year. By the time they hit 4" there will only be a slight difference between siblings. Usually by 5", you would never be able to tell who hatched out that light. Just like with any Tortoise, the more you keep them inside, the longer they will retain that lighter pigment.

That is what I suspect as well, except it has not started darkening up at all. It is my most unusual one so far. Even if it darkens up, it will still be an interesting bugger.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Are you going to hold it back Allegra? Even if the shell does darken it is a beautiful tort.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Very nice looking hatchling. Should end up having a great carapace and since the head and legs are so well colored it will be really good looking adult.
As for why it is so much lighter than the other siblings, who knows? Could be genetic or simply something to do with where it was inside the incubator.
I would certainly hang onto it until it gets to be around 4 or 5 inches just to see what happens. My guess is that carapace will darken up but the carapace centers will be bright yellow.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Even without looking at the carapace, this is a very striking hatchling.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
allegraf said:
I really don't think it is a hypo by any means, but it is still very interesting.

Biloxi is in the first picture, the red but plain giantess.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79526.html

I never got the impression that you were implying that it was a hypo or anything of that nature. It comes across as you feeling that this tort was different than other hatchlings that you've had in the past. Seeing as you have hatched many Brazilians I think that it's safe to say that this isn't a very common occurrence and it definitely deserves a thread of its own. I for one look forward to seeing this tort grow up and to see what the "finished product" looks like ;)