Brought home my russian tortoise! (video)

boxraddict

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Here is a video of my new RT eating this morning! :)

Right now indoors enclosure and I will admit...it's a 40 breeder but 1) It is an upgrade from what they had this guy, and others in at the petstore and 2) I most definately am getting the guy in a much bigger wooden enclosure by December. Have my word! In at least a 6x4" enclosure of floor space by then.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Nothing like a little Conway Twitty music. Don't you just love watching the Russians eat, they go at it with such gusto.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Nothing like a little Conway Twitty music. Don't you just love watching the Russians eat, they go at it with such gusto.
Yep! Don't know which brings me more joy, seeing them eat, seeing them wiggle themselves into ground on a lawn when they want to "chill" or watching them yawn when they are awake only a minute or so!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yep! Don't know which brings me more joy, seeing them eat, seeing them wiggle themselves into ground on a lawn when they want to "chill" or watching them yawn when they are awake only a minute or so!
They definitely have personality. My friends are not into reptiles at all, but most of them admit that my tortoise seems to have a lot of personality. They are surprised by it. I actually was too, I've never had a reptile before.

boxraddict

Florida
He ate the same thing this morning. He's such a good eater with a healthy appetite. And yup, classic country rocks, I listen to literally every genre and have my music on shuffle constantly, and Conway Twitty happened to be on as I was recording yesterday morning. But me and my tortoise have it all, metal, rap, country, classical lol.

Anyone know some good "snacks" I see youtube them eating sweet potatoes, various fruits and carrots. Can these be offered on occassion?

His name is...................... Ivan!

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
You will never see me offer any of those three to mine, particularly the sweet potatoes; others may disagree. As they can be attracted to the color red and it is what I call the least of the treat evils (...), I am contemplating twice a year trying a half of a cherry tomato. As I allow them to have all too much romaine lettuce, that's the "treat" in my eyes! (I invite challenges and agreements here!) Varied diet is universally considered healthiest and I like to think the occasional addition of a healthy item will suffice as well for mental enrichment.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He ate the same thing this morning. He's such a good eater with a healthy appetite. And yup, classic country rocks, I listen to literally every genre and have my music on shuffle constantly, and Conway Twitty happened to be on as I was recording yesterday morning. But me and my tortoise have it all, metal, rap, country, classical lol.

Anyone know some good "snacks" I see youtube them eating sweet potatoes, various fruits and carrots. Can these be offered on occassion?

His name is...................... Ivan!
No fruit. Tomato is also considered fruit. I give mine a carrot every few months. I don't chop it up, just give it to them. Cactus is also good, scrapes the signs off. They can eat that pretty often. It has lots of calcium. I have given mine a chunk of pumpkin, or squash. I will give cucumber to increase hydration, no nutritional value but it does help on hot days. Variety is the key. Check out the Russian tortoise section, Tom has made a list of great foods to feed your Russian. The key is variety overtime. They don't need 10 different items in one day or even one week. Get something and feed it for a few days, then change to something else. If they don't eat something, give it a couple three more days before you decide they're not going to.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I will give cucumber to increase hydration, no nutritional value but it does help on hot days.
My Russian LOVED the cucumbers straight off the vine in his garden during this past summer's hotter days!! They gave him lots of needed water. :) Such a spoiled baby... :<3:

The key is variety overtime. They don't need 10 different items in one day or even one week. Get something and feed it for a few days, then change to something else. If they don't eat something, give it a couple three more days before you decide they're not going to.
Those are great tips! That's good way to see their favorite foods too!