Broken shell

L.k.a

Hi everyone,

I adopted a tortoise 2 years ago without noticing that it got a broken shell ( the down side beside it's leg ).
And he lives in the home Garden with 4 other tortoises and one turtle.

Please understand that it's hard for me to take it to the vet there is no experts here in my region
What should I do ?
Will it heal by itself?

IMG_20160503_174443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
It was broken when you adopted it two years ago? Is there any reason that it is giving you cause for concern now?

L.k.a

It was broken when you adopted it two years ago? Is there any reason that it is giving you cause for concern now?

Yes it was broken long ago,
and yeah there was part of the shell up there .. I thought the tortoise was healing itself, but last week that part fall down, and that's why I'm kind worry about it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It's hard for me to tell from the picture, but if the injury is that old, any infection that would happen would have already happened. I really doubt you have anything to worry about. Does the newly fallen down section interfere with his walking?

L.k.a

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It's hard for me to tell from the picture, but if the injury is that old, any infection that would happen would have already happened. I really doubt you have anything to worry about. Does the newly fallen down section interfere with his walking?

I think it was quite long time ago even before I got it, and I treated them very well I'm sure nothing happened to him so this was long time ago ,and there is nothing wrong with the tortoise walks, it walks normally and eats healthy with the other fellas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then don't worry about it.