broken lower jaw/beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanta36

5 Year Member
I have a female Russian that I was given almost 2 months ago. She is very active and lives in a medium size rubbermade. So I take her out and make her run around looking for food around the living room almost every afternoon for exercise. She is always very hunger and will follow me around the room and eats very fast and is careful to get every piece of whatever I give her. I do not know how old she is, but she appears to be getting healthier since I have had her. I have put calcium on her food every couple of days and there is a piece of cuttlebone in her enclosure which she has never touched. Lots of dry skin has fallen off and her shell looks less dried out now than when I got her. I have soaked her about once a week and she has a pretty big water dish that she walked through a lot.

Anyway, she was eating some lettuce today and bit her claw by mistake as she was trying to hold down the lettuce with her foot. Her entire lower beak broke off. She used to be able to cut food very nicely and now she is having trouble even ripping lettuce and even more trouble with kale. Will it grow back? How long will it take? She does not seem to be in pain and still eats lots but it takes her a little longer. It's basically like she has no lower teeth anymore.

Thank you for any ideas, and please let me know if this has happened to anyone else's Russian.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
You are talking about the mouth part (the name escapes me) they use to eat not the actual jaw right? If it is just the beak that broke off it will grow back, the ar elike fingernails in how they grow and they actually need to be trimmed sometimes depending on how it is living. As for pain there should not be any pain now it is like breaking off a piece of your fingernail, it may hurt for a few moments but it eventually stops. Until it grows back you could cut up her food smaller so she has an easier time of eating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jhanta36:

Welcome to the forum!

May we know your name and where you are?

Can we see a picture of what you are talking about?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, and any photos will really help..

jhanta36

5 Year Member
My name is Forrest and I am in Marin County, Northern California. Sorry for the lame pictures, I could get my phone to focus that small. The piece is sitting on top of a dime. And yes it is just the lower beak part, not her jaw. And she appears not to have noticed. She is just not quite as good at eating as before. Any idea how long it might take to regrow?

06202011_004.jpg
06202011_002.jpg
06202011_006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To be honest I don't know I would imagine weeks at a minimum, Would it be possible to take a picture of her beak where the piece is missing, And how is she eating? still having trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.