Broken leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi,

My sulcata walks a bit strange, when I looked better I saw that he did not use his back leg. I'll take him to a vet Thursday, but maybe you now why he doesn't uses his leg...

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I guess my tort is now about 4 months, his carapace is 3". You are correct, he is just not stepping down. But he also don't moves his leg while walking.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I'm trying to make a picture, but when he just lies you can't see anything.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Thanks all,

I went to the vet, and he told me that the sulcata was bitten in his leg by another sulcata. He got an injection and it all looks fine now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What injection did he give him to treat a tortoise leg bite?

In all my years and thousands of sulcatas babies I've seen, I've never seen a 3" tortoise bite another tortoises leg, especially a back leg that is tucked in and hidden most of the time. The attacker would have to turn his head sideways. They don't do that.

Anything is possible, but this doesn't seem feasible or logical.

Either way, glad he's all better now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The attacker would have to turn his head sideways

Tom, one of the CDTs here (Herman) stalks and then rushes up to and then will absolutely turn his head sideways and bite at the legs and neck of another male if in same yard with another male CDT....he turns into a gladiator without a doubt.....Then again, Herman is the trouble maker of the crew---hands down :p

I think my bigger concern would be the eventual problems with housing a pair of torts together...? They are already showing signs of aggression with one another (or bullying of one to the other)...this will surely progress and not diminish....you may want to consider a second equal enclosure as time goes on...

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I think that the attacker did it by accident. Maybe he tought that this leg was food.. I'll keep an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.