Broken eggs!

Rachaelrachierach

Hi there I have two Hermann tortoises, Tallulah and Albert, they are both 7 years old.
On 30/6/14 Tallulah laid her very first egg!!! Unfortunately it was crushed n just yolk... I bathed her n cleaned her n she pooped out more yolk- no shell this time...
On the 2/7/14 Tallulah laid her second egg! But sadly crushed n just yolk!!
They are both outside on warm dummy's days n she has a fav patch of grass where she is nesting- the grass is bald here now n it is where both eggs were laid, it doesn't have a hole though...

Is this normal for crushed infertile eggs?
What do I do?
Should I dig a small hole for her eggs?
Is this a sign for real fertilised eggs????

Really looking forward to some answers m replies!!
Thanks in advance x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
They were prob. jut duds, though the one without a shell, how is the calcium in her diet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Be sure you have a nice "dirt" place where she can dig a hole. If a tortoise egg breaks inside the tortoise you run the risk of injury from the broken shell inside her body.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Leave the cuttlebone in her habitat so she can eat it whenever she wants. It sounds like she doesn't have a good nesting spot. Can she dig?

Rachaelrachierach

Yeah she is able to dig as the soil is good n sturdy. Think I'm going to make a small hole to start her off. She dug all the grass away so she's left bare soil but no actual holes x