Broken/Chipped Beak

gabster723

Location (City and/or State)
Monroe, NY
Hello all, my red foot recently broke a piece of his upper beak off and I’m worried about it healing. How long does it take? Should I do wound care so it does not get infected? If so, how often? I’ve been chopping up his food into tiny bite sized pieces and eating does not cause him any discomfort. Something I’m more concerned about is that he likes to poke objects with his nose while smelling and I can see him retract when he does it. I think he’s in pain because of it so now he’s avoiding poking things which is unlike him :(
I also have a question as to what foods to give him because if I give him more citrus fruits, wouldn’t it burn? (Like oranges or strawberries). Today I have him mashed peaches with his calcium powder, and chopped kale.
Here are photos of the powder I use, the food, and his beak. Any advice is welcome, I’m just concerned as to help prevent any further discomfort for him!

IMG_5876.jpgIMG_5886.jpgIMG_5885.jpgIMG_5877.jpgIMG_5880.jpgIMG_5893.jpgIMG_5901.jpg
He loves his peaches [emoji23]
IMG_5907.jpg
IMG_5908.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's ok. It was probably painful when it happened, and I can see a bit of red that might be 'quick' or blood, but animals tune out pain very easily and seeing him biting the peach tells me it's not bothering him anymore.

gabster723

Monroe, NY
That's ok. It was probably painful when it happened, and I can see a bit of red that might be 'quick' or blood, but animals tune out pain very easily and seeing him biting the peach tells me it's not bothering him anymore.

Yeah it had some blood but didn’t drip out. It literally happened five minutes after I came home and said hi to him. I went to shower, came back and saw it was broken and I had a mini heart attack [emoji24] poor little guy. I filed down the sharp edges with a soft nail file. He actually sits well for beak trimmings too. Do you think citrus fruits would burn?