British tortoise owners

Thirstyscott

Hi again Scott don't know if you've already found it but www.thetortoisetable.org.uk has a great plant database for what's safe or not - meant to tell you about it last time I posted but forgot to get back to you. Hope it helps.
Thanks Lyn w. I did recently find this. Most of my plants shrubs etc have been tracked down and purchased through various garden centres. Also I do pick wild weeds and greens. Thanks again

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Thanks Lyn w. I did recently find this. Most of my plants shrubs etc have been tracked down and purchased through various garden centres. Also I do pick wild weeds and greens. Thanks again
Hi Scott if the garden centre plants are new and for nibbling then make sure soil and plant aren't treated with any chemicals etc I think it s recommended you repot in sterilised or natural soil and wait a while for all traces to go. Sorry if I am stating the obvious. but its not something I thought of before I joined TFO

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi n welcome I am wakefeild West Yorkshire . Any ideas on what temps all your tortis are outside would be nice
Hi. I live in Kent and Joe has been an outdoor tort for getting on for 50 years.

I reckon on him being fine outside once the temperature is a consistently around 10C by day. I pull him in at night if there's a risk of frost. Otherwise he sleeps in a cold frame packed with straw... or under the red hot poker plants... or under the lavender... or... (once the nights warm up I have no control :D)

He has a basking lamp in a dog kennel and I put him under that to warm up first thing in the mornings and he roams from then on when he is ready to. He rarely returns to the lamp during the day preferring a sunny spot on slate chips beneath our bird feeder. It is surprising how warm these chips get even on a grey day. Having spent half an hour or so grazing the weedy lawn, he is on the slate now at 9.30am with no sun and the air temperature at 13C.

Prairie Mom

SECRET SANTA!!!
Come on!!!...You know you want to!! <peer pressure> <peer pressure> All the cool kids are doing it!<peer pressure>
Hello, you great group of Tortoise owners!!!
I just wanted to make sure you all knew that @Jacqui is starting up a Secret Santa this year! Apparently, it's been done before and sounds like a lot of fun. There are some UK members (as well as other international members) that are interested in playing and are hoping more people outside of the US will join in.

Here's a link to Jacqui's Secret Santa thread in the off-topic chit chat: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/secret-santa-anyone-☃-☃-☃.130497/page-5 -pg 5 states the rules and how to get involved

-------------------------------------------------------
Also, members can let Jacqui know if they're willing to have a secret santa outside of their own country. You don't have to!

I've been looking at Amazon as a possibility to ship to international members and hopefully avoid excessive international shipping costs. I tried logging into different Amazon language sites and they accepted my login.

If you're curious...
Here is a link to Amazon in the USA - http://www.amazon.com/

Here is a link to Amazon's other international websites -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/entertainment/international

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
YESSSSS! woohoo!
I think the country-specific Amazon option does open up a few possibilities. Good luck! Let the shopping games begin!!! :D

already have a few things in mind, though they are silly and not personal so it may be a 2 part gift :)