British tortoise owners

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
This is way off topic, but I think its a good place to ask this question. I used to go onto the Shelled Warriors Forum about once a week just to gain a little insight into how tortoises are kept in the UK. For the past little while I haven't been able to find it. Has it been dis-banded?

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Sorry I would have no idea! This is the only forum if been on, I hope someone else knows though!

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
I was a member there too. Apparently the site was attacked by some technical thingy (as you can tell I am not a techie !) and they are now looking for a new host.

I hope it is back soon because although I like this site and it has loads of info and nice peeps here, you can never have too many places to browse. If I hear any more would you like me to message you, Yvonne?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, please do. It's good to know it was just a virus, and not that they're gone for good. I'll keep trying to find them.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Natalie Jean

Uk, Cornwall
Hi all, I'm in the Uk (Cornwall) and have a Hermanns tort called Noah who will be two this November! After much consideration and research I'm seriously considering hibernating 'her' this winter. After a suggestion in one of my posts from another member, I think it would be great if theres anyone out there (who has hibernated their young tort in a similar climate before),who wouldn't mind being a kind of mentor via here/ email etc. Someone who can share a few tips and tricks that are tried and tested- we all know how conflicting advice on the net can be! Thanks in advance, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Hi all, I'm in the Uk (Cornwall) and have a Hermanns tort called Noah who will be two this November! After much consideration and research I'm seriously considering hibernating 'her' this winter. After a suggestion in one of my posts from another member, I think it would be great if theres anyone out there (who has hibernated their young tort in a similar climate before),who wouldn't mind being a kind of mentor via here/ email etc. Someone who can share a few tips and tricks that are tried and tested- we all know how conflicting advice on the net can be! Thanks in advance, it would be greatly appreciated! :)
Hi! Im in plymouth and have 2 Hermanns that will be 4 next month. I have never hibernated mine and im not going to. However i know its good for when theyre young not to hibernate them as it allowes them to grow.:)

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Hi! Im in plymouth and have 2 Hermanns that will be 4 next month. I have never hibernated mine and im not going to. However i know its good for when theyre young not to hibernate them as it allowes them to grow.:)

You say you have never hibernated yours and you aren't going to? I have read a couple of things;
(1) With Hermanns, they do their own thing and ibernate anyway - how do you stop this?
(2) If you don't hibernate, they grow too quick and possibly pyramid as they aren't 'meant' to be fed 365 days a year

I just wondered how you get around these points as I don't want to hibernate my two Hermanns either :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I'm afraid this is poor advice. It's 'good' for them to hibernate from their first winter, as this is what they do in the wild, and as @ditzyangeluk said, it will lead to too fast growth otherwise. Not to mention completely messing up their sense of seasons.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
You say you have never hibernated yours and you aren't going to? I have read a couple of things;
(1) With Hermanns, they do their own thing and ibernate anyway - how do you stop this?
(2) If you don't hibernate, they grow too quick and possibly pyramid as they aren't 'meant' to be fed 365 days a year

I just wondered how you get around these points as I don't want to hibernate my two Hermanns either :)
Im not too sure yet either as i way always told that not hibernating them when they are younger gives them growing time but i completely understand the pyramiding side to it. However, everyone makes mistakes with their first torts and its not common for their first torts to be bumpy. However, hibernating is what a tortoise does as a result in the fall of temperature and is their way of dealing with it so i suppose that if you keep the temperature the same all year round then they wont feel the need to hibernate. @FLINTUS i completely understnad what your saying, i was rushing when i posted that.

OurTommy

UK
Are there any owners in Manchester that do tortoise sitting or look after other peoples during holidays?

We used to take ours to a pet shop but he hadn't been seen to properly when we last went to pick him up :(

Thanks

margykid

Hi. I am from the UK. I am a child and have loved tortoises since I was 7 I am getting a baby marginated next week. :):) I live in London and hopefully some ti,e in the future I will have my own little brood.

Seaan

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hello, this is my very first post but I thought it was appropriate to put it in here because I live in Scotland. I don't have a tortoise of my own yet but have been doing a lot of research in anticipation of getting one! Nice to hear from people nearby!