breeding live food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
my new eastern box turtle only eats protein so far (earthworms, super worms and a few crickets) and with my chameleon eating the same foods, i am paying a fortune in live food weekly.

I've read a couple pages on breeding super worms specifically, but would like to hear my fellow forum members how they do it.

or is it easier to purchase online? i just ordered 100 super worms, 20 horn worms and 12 butterworms for 35$.

i hope that she will one day take a bite of the different greens, veggies and fruits i offer daily.....until then, they will rot in her enclosure ):

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She won't eat the greens if you keep offering the live foods. Your going to have to get tuff and feed only greens until she gives in and eats them. Maybe try some of the dried bugs you can buy, crush them and sprinkle on the greens, spritz with water to make the bugs stick to greens. She will then have to eat the green, to eat the bugs.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I breed red wigglers, they are easy. Just have a bin with soil moss mix, I throw news paper and paper towel into the dirt and moisten it. Put the worms in and that's it they multiply quick. I
Also bred meal worms, it's more of a process still not bad but you need three sepertate buns and it takes awhile to get it all producing right .

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
There are many easy to follow YouTube videos on mealworms and farming them.
They are only as good as what they eat. Many "gut load" them with nutritious foods.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: breeding live food?

CharlieM said:
There are many easy to follow YouTube videos on mealworms and farming them.
They are only as good as what they eat. Many "gut load" them with nutritious foods.

oh, true, i didn't think of YouTube, haha. and I'm familiar with gut loading..i do it to
the food i feed now. i keep it for a week on fruits and veggies with a bit of calcium before feeding.

wellington said:
She won't eat the greens if you keep offering the live foods. Your going to have to get tuff and feed only greens until she gives in and eats them. Maybe try some of the dried bugs you can buy, crush them and sprinkle on the greens, spritz with water to make the bugs stick to greens. She will then have to eat the green, to eat the bugs.

she's 10 and her previous owner said she didn't eat greens or veggies....just a little cantaloupe. i really want to break her of this habit but didn't want her to be hungry and stressed out because I've only had her for 2 weeks. when i get her in her larger enclosure and she's warmed up to me i am definitely using some tough love

Millerlite said:
I breed red wigglers, they are easy. Just have a bin with soil moss mix, I throw news paper and paper towel into the dirt and moisten it. Put the worms in and that's it they multiply quick. I
Also bred meal worms, it's more of a process still not bad but you need three sepertate buns and it takes awhile to get it all producing right .

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

thank you for the links, these do seem to be the easiest to breed

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The easiest feeder insect I've raised is the black soldier fly larvae (BSFL). They are usually sold as "Phoenix worms," "Soldier Grubs," "Reptiworms" or "Calciworms." You can either make or buy a composter.

Status
Not open for further replies.