Breeding High Yellow Radiates

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes it the straight carapace length, have your high yellow breeding group made any progress yet?

Can you post a current photo of that male next to a ruler? I would like to see how he looks now.

Radmaster

27658854_1597351736985009_317007335_n.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a couple of days. He is around 9.5 - 10 inches in length.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a couple of days. He is around 9.5 - 10 inches in length.

Thanks for the photo. He looks very nice. He still needs to grow about 3 to 4 inches (8 or 10 cm) to be breeding size.

Radmaster

I held back a couple of these youngsters which were hatched in the early to mid-2000's from the best producing pair of adults I have known in 40+ years of breeding the species. They are just now getting to breeding size and age. An adult photo of one of these babies is also shown. He is now 16" and weighs 30 lb. and he has been breeding with several females this season. Hopefully in 6-9 months, I may have a good answer for your question.

Bill Zovickian

View attachment 177003 View attachment 177004
Hi Bill, I hope you are well, it has been a while since I am active on this forum. My female just produced her 1st batch of eggs. So I was wondering how your high-yellow selective breeding experiment went?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi Bill, I hope you are well, it has been a while since I am active on this forum. My female just produced her 1st batch of eggs. So I was wondering how your high-yellow selective breeding experiment went?

Unfortunately, I had to let all of my Radiated Tortoises go on to other breeders. A couple years ago, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis after getting two fractured vertebrae in my back and my doctor told me not to lift anything over 30 pounds. I disregarded that instruction for a year or so, but then hurt my hip and back while lifting my largest male one day. My four biggest adults all weighed from 30 to 37 pounds, so I decided I would have to part with them. Knowing the younger ones would grow up into large adults one day, I sold them as well.

One fellow got almost all of the adults from me, and he is hatching some gorgeous babies now.

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
I would venture to say that tortoise will be a pretty nice looking adult, even with the foot injury. In the US, for the size, coloration, and age it is now, the price could range from $3500 to $4500 depending upon how badly the buyer wanted to own it.

Bill Zovickian

Holy crap! If them tortoises only knew what humans pay for them But all your guys torts are awesome! I usually only read Sulcata stuff, now I'm interested these yellow beauties

Zerostar2410

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier, CA
Unfortunately, I had to let all of my Radiated Tortoises go on to other breeders. A couple years ago, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis after getting two fractured vertebrae in my back and my doctor told me not to lift anything over 30 pounds. I disregarded that instruction for a year or so, but then hurt my hip and back while lifting my largest male one day. My four biggest adults all weighed from 30 to 37 pounds, so I decided I would have to part with them. Knowing the younger ones would grow up into large adults one day, I sold them as well.

One fellow got almost all of the adults from me, and he is hatching some gorgeous babies now.

Who did you sell to? By chance are they in California? Looking for someone who sells in CA since I don’t have a CWB

zovick

10 Year Member!
Who did you sell to? By chance are they in California? Looking for someone who sells in CA since I don’t have a CWB
Sorry, but mine all went to FL and NY. There are plenty of people in CA with Radiated Tortoises. Keep watching the classified ads on Fauna and Kingsnake.com and you will eventually see some offered for sale in CA. You could also try placing a "Wanted" ad on either of those sites and see what response you get.