Breeding age ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need advice!Spurthyied Tortoise

My Spurthyied tortoise is 3 years what age can they start breeding?? Also what are good incubators !!! I know she's probably a bit too young but I'm still curious and also are their any Spurthyied tortoise breeders with a tortoise for sale about her age ???? Thanks a lot please get back to me

From Chlöe Essex,England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: I need advice!Spurthyied Tortoise

Hi Chloe:

Tortoise breeding age goes by size rather than years old. Your Greek tortoise probably won't be ready to breed until he gets to be around 5 or 6 inches in a straight line from front to back.

Just wanted to clear something up for you: The Greek tortoises are referred to as "spur thighed" because they have pointy spurs sticking out from the 'thighs' on their back legs.

What age can I start breeding my Testudo Graeca (spur thighed) tort xx She is 3 x 4 in September this year xx can I start to breed her soon xxx thanks xxx [TURTLE][TURTLE][TURTLE]

From Chlöe Essex,England

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Is she 3"x 4" or 3 inches straight line?
In both cases, she is MUCH to small. Also, in the friendliest way, it'd be a LOT easier to read your messages without all the "xxxx" 's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As a first time tortoise-keeper, I think you would be better served if you concentrate on providing the best care and the biggest, safest habitat you are able to provide. After you have the basics down pat, and you've learned all there is to know about your tortoise, then you can start to think about breeding.

Oh don't worry she is is a very safe environment and I look after her very well and she seems a bit lonely so yeah I think I'm ready !!

From Chlöe Essex,England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, tortoises aren't lonely for others of their own kind. Tortoises are solitary animals. They don't come together in the wild or live in herds. They have a territory, and if another tortoise comes into their territory, they fight, sometimes to the death, to get that tortoise out of their territory. If you put another tortoise in with yours (after a quarantine period), be prepared for lots of fighting and for the male to pester the female until she hides in a corner to stay away from him.

charlygal123

Kent UK
No, tortoises aren't lonely for others of their own kind. Tortoises are solitary animals. They don't come together in the wild or live in herds. They have a territory, and if another tortoise comes into their territory, they fight, sometimes to the death, to get that tortoise out of their territory. If you put another tortoise in with yours (after a quarantine period), be prepared for lots of fighting and for the male to pester the female until she hides in a corner to stay away from him.
Totally agree!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh don't worry she is is a very safe environment and I look after her very well and she seems a bit lonely so yeah I think I'm ready !!

From Chlöe Essex,England
As stated, its size not age. How fast they grow depends on many variables. Most of the time, this species doesn't breed until at least 6-7 years old, and sometimes longer, depending on size and other factors.

When tortoise is finally old enough and large enough to breed, you will need to maintain the male in a separate enclosure and put them together for a day or two at a time during breeding season. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Another thing to consider is that they can be difficult to sex before reaching maturity. Almost all of them look female at 3 years old. Vets, pet shops, and people on the internet regularly get this wrong. You might not have a female. It would be very difficult to tell at 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.