Breeder and Rep Show Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
I am planning on going to the All Ohio Reptile show in Columbus in two weeks. Just wondering in anyone has ever been to one of these in Ohio of other states. Not sure how the title changes when it is held in other states, but I saw dates scheduled in many Midwestern states.

I wish the show website listed the breeders in advance so I could research them and make sure they take good care of their torts.

Any advice would be appreciated

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I go to the NARBC when it comes to chicago every year. It is a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of reptiles you may not normally. You can often tell how well they are taken care of by how they are when you see them

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
jerm42991 said:
I go to the NARBC when it comes to chicago every year. It is a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of reptiles you may not normally. You can often tell how well they are taken care of by how they are when you see them
Thanks, Chicago is a bit too far to go for a day trip, but at least I know that reptile shows aren't like puppy mills now. I would prefer to actually see the tort than have another one shipped. I don't think the shipping caused the issue, but I think seeing him and bringing him straight home to his turtle table would be best. His eyes were swollen shut when I took him out of the box because LLL Reptile sent a sick hatchling. I called and called them for two weeks after he arrived and not one person there knew as much as I did about Sulcatas. They travel around the country to reptile shows, so I would discourage any purchases from them. Anyone who feeds a Sulcata fruit on a nearly daily basis does not know enough about their care to sell the creatures.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Read this before you buy one from anyone. It will tell you what goes wrong and what questions to ask the seller/breeder. HYDRATION is critical for babies!!! Rabbit pellets for substrate and soaking "once in a while" should be a deal killer in my opinion.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1jxKFvznQ

Thank you Tom. I found the hatchling faure syndrome information on this forum after giving up on the breeder's ability to help me figure out what was wrong. Then found a hero vet. He was just already I'll when he arrived, his eyes never opened once. He was in a table with Tomithy hay and we monitored the humidity and heat multiple times per day. He was on a proper soaking routine as well. Unfortunately LLL Reptiles is a horrid breeder with no concern or knowledge about what they sell. I saw ads today requesting to buy turtles of all varieties from anyone, so I doubt they have any idea about their initial care

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Let me make a comment. You keep refering to LLL as a "breeder". They are a "dealer". They buy most of what they sell from others that actually breed the animals and they also "deal" in a lot of wild caught animals.

They may actually "breed" some of the animals they sell, but they typically buy in large wholesale lots so that they can resell at retail prices. Like the large pet stores do, just online.

When researching the vendors at a reptile show, ask them if they do infact breed and raise the animals they sell or if they purchase them from someone else.

Davo

5 Year Member
I have been to the show in Columbus a couple of times. The first time there were many healthy looking tortoises. The second time there were just a few adult tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.