Breed

Maria.Smith

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hello there, we bought our little tortoises a few weeks back, we were told they were both horsefields but they are so different in colour I wonder if an expert on here would kindly confirm! Thank you ?

3C1D8A23-7A8E-4232-B076-33E834FB2446.jpeg
A43D6F25-412C-4D34-8BF8-19F63E5CED20.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hope you don't keep them together. They are cute

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
definitely Russians. even russians have variable coloring. great looking torts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The darker one is quite a bit younger than the other and has no new growth on him yet. The lighter one has quite a bit of new growth - the lighter color.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Both Russians. Here is the care info:

Maria.Smith

Essex
Yep. Both Russians. Here is the care info:
I read up lots before we bought them but your care sheet covers everything without flitting from one care sheet to another. So much information and so much conflicting advice but I went with that I found the most of and I’m glad to say it’s on your sheet. I hope my little ones stay as happy as they seem!

Reactions: Tom

Maria.Smith

Essex
The darker one is quite a bit younger than the other and has no new growth on him yet. The lighter one has quite a bit of new growth - the lighter color.
Hey, thanks for your reply. We were told they were both around 8 months old, i wasn’t sure of this for obvious reasons!
I’ve attached a picture of them side by side ( please note they have separate enclosures, I just put them next to each other for the photo purpose )
Would you mind me asking how old would you say they are? The darker one is around 6cm in width, the other around 7cm. Thank you in advance ?

Attachments

• DD8A0890-A9F9-41FE-9346-228E0FA93AC9.jpeg
    DD8A0890-A9F9-41FE-9346-228E0FA93AC9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 2CBEE261-78AA-4035-A457-B5840D7389D3.jpeg
    2CBEE261-78AA-4035-A457-B5840D7389D3.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9

Maria.Smith

Essex
Hey, thanks for your reply. We were told they were both around 8 months old, i wasn’t sure of this for obvious reasons!
I’ve attached a picture of them side by side ( please note they have separate enclosures, I just put them next to each other for the photo purpose )
Would you mind me asking how old would you say they are? The darker one is around 6cm in width, the other around 7cm. Thank you in advance ?

BD41DEBD-A96B-49C4-A82C-D685467DA5E7.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

They both look like they're under a year old, with the darker one being closer to hatch and the lighter one, since he has so much new growth, maybe three or four months older than the darker one. But it's subjective because maybe the lighter one eats better, so grows more in the same length of time. If the seller told you they are the same age, that tells me the darker one isn't eating as well as the lighter one.

Maria.Smith

Essex
They both look like they're under a year old, with the darker one being closer to hatch and the lighter one, since he has so much new growth, maybe three or four months older than the darker one. But it's subjective because maybe the lighter one eats better, so grows more in the same length of time. If the seller told you they are the same age, that tells me the darker one isn't eating as well as the lighter one.
The darker one is much greedier than the lighter one, the lighter one doesn’t eat as much as him. They pet store was very vague when I questioned him on their age he said they might even be 6 months so I’m not sure he even knew to be honest! ? thank you for your time ?