Breed Identification and Info

Shawn2017

My wife and I took a pair tortoises from the sister in-law. They've been on a roman lettuce diet sense hatchling and have had no supplements and extremely limited UV exposure/ exercise. Basically left in a 30 gallon fish tank with coconut fiber bedding with a tiny empty water dish.
I think both are about 5 years old. Assuming its just a native species to Arizona, but was hoping to find out before going to the vet to get more habitat information.

Also wondering if these girls? can do well outdoors in the Phoenix area. Wanting to possibly add a couple more to mow down the weeds in the back yard.

20170705_160718.jpg 20170702_155721.jpg20170705_160718.jpg 20170702_155721.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I can't tell for sure on my little screen in the sun, but I'm pretty sure those are desert tortoises. Gopherus species.

Most of the care info for them out in the world is not great. They can live outside most of the year IF you make a proper enclosure with an underground retreat and pay close attention to hydration. They must be able to go underground to escape your extreme heat. In winter, the temps where you are are not consistently cold enough to safely hibernate them outside. You'll need to decide whether to keep them up and active all winter, or to hibernate them correctly with the use of a fridge.

Care for them is the same as it is for russian tortoises, so this should help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Very sad she didn't take care of them better. Living in AZ, it's not hard or costly to give an animal UVB

Shawn2017

Ya we felt bad for them and I wasn't opposed to weed control :) Was looking at sulcata's but don't think I have enough property for it to put some dumpster sized holes into lol. Changed the plan to several smaller desert dwellers