Brand new!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi and welcome to TFO!

You're starting an adventure! Sullies are backyard bulldozers, but so sweet you have to forgive them. I mean, who cares about bushes, trees, lawn furniture, sprinkler systems, and crushed toes when you look at that adorable face? At least you have a few years to prepare. ?

On a more serious note, I'll post some links for you. It's all good reading, even if you don't think it applies to you. Like incubating eggs and first care for hatchlings. But it helps fill in the background for things we recommend later.

We'd love to see pictures of your enclosure and set up. And of course your baby when s(he) arrives!

Gunner253

Orting, Washington
Hi and welcome to TFO!

You're starting an adventure! Sullies are backyard bulldozers, but so sweet you have to forgive them. I mean, who cares about bushes, trees, lawn furniture, sprinkler systems, and crushed toes when you look at that adorable face? At least you have a few years to prepare. ?

On a more serious note, I'll post some links for you. It's all good reading, even if you don't think it applies to you. Like incubating eggs and first care for hatchlings. But it helps fill in the background for things we recommend later.

We'd love to see pictures of your enclosure and set up. And of course your baby when s(he) arrives!

Thank you! I appreciate all info! I'll definitely take pictures. The enclosure we're gonna use for the first year or so is a modified zoo med tortoise house. I know they arent the best option bc of size and having an open top but I was atleast able to take care of the size. We got one for free and I added 2 feet to its length. We were supposed to get the tortoise yesterday but weather changed shipping so we've had his enclosure set up for a few days getting temps and humidity dialed in. Basking spot is a powersun 100w about 14" above giving him about a 100 degree basking spot with enough uv still. We have a che on a thermostat that helps maintain the atmosphere temp at around 85 with a cool closed chamber that stays in the low 70's. Humidity in the cool chamber stays at 90% and with 3 sprays a day and a towel covering a third of the open top we've been keeping the other side around 70-80% with a warm hide in the high 80% range. Night temps stay around 70 in the cool end and low 80's on the warm end with a nice warm area in the upper 80's under the che. We've been doing a lot of research over the last several months in prep of this so now we're just impatiently waiting lol. We already have plans for his outside enclosure and house!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It sounds like you've modified it well, with the exception of night temps. He should be at 80degF all night. Even the coolest spot should not drop below 80.

What you could do is make a framework of wood or PVC. The purpose is to have a bar above the enclosure and lights. The lights and CHE hang from the bar. Then you drape plastic, maybe a shower curtain, over the entire set up. Voila! a closed chamber that you won't need to struggle to maintain heat and humidity.

When I can find a pic of one, I'll post it.