Brand new Redfooted Tortoise Mom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Villy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Mi
Hello! I frequently have tortoise questions and google searches always brought me here, so I finally decided to join. I'm a turtle/tortoise NUT *studying marine biology so I can hopefully study sea turtles later on*, and have been wanting a pet tortoise for a very long time. Well, yesterday my boyfriend surprised me with a redfooted tortoise! Unfortunately, he got it from Petco, while I had been planning on adopting or at least getting from a breeder. Still, my little Tortolla is ADORABLE! I do worry that I might be not be up to par as a tortoise mom though. I know it's only been a day but I don't want to do anything wrong and hurt him or make him sick! Plus, he's in a 55 gallon tank right now, which will NOT do for the long term, so I'm looking for tortoise table ideas as well, so I can build one.

Anyway, just coming to say hello! I have a feeling this forum will be getting a lot of "HEEELLLP!" posts from me!

Attachments

• IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 47

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Villy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Aww adorable i got mine from petco as well i saw him in the tank that was way too small for him and had to save him cause i love any form of turtle im new to everything and so far this site has been awesome with answering questions everyone is very friendly and willing to help it seems no question is too weird or simple!

Villy

5 Year Member
SE Mi
Thanks all!

I'm from the Detroit area. My name is Viki, most people call me Villy.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
congrats on your tort...welcome to tfo!
i own a redfoot! i live in uk [imagining petco is just a petshop] i bought mine at a petshop here and i did it the wrong way bought before i knew anything within a week i needed every thing i needed to know through TFO ive' now had him 2 1/2 yrs he was in a fish tank small with a heat bulb and stuff with another tortoise in a 65cm tank 2 males! i got told he was femal and i believed that until a few months ago when he popped his penie during bathtime! so dont listen to pestchops [petco] :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
did the pet store have any background on this tort? It looks like you did 'rescue' him.
get a good diet and calcium into this one, hydration too!
and...... WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome! :) I'm a new red foot mom, too!! Mine is about 3 months old. Aren't they they the greatest???:D:cool:

My Torts

5 Year Member
Congrats ! I've got 2 redfoots and have had them both for about 6 years. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.