Brand new & proud sulcata owner

m_bhayes

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey there everyone! Just picked up my first sulcata (Leonardo aka Leo) and my family is in love with him especially my son who is autistic. We are very excited to watch him grow and get accustomed to his new forever home ? We live in Texas btw is anyone else on here from the Lonestar state?

I’ve read plenty of posts on here and very thankful I stumbled across this forum page thank you for all that you do to take the time to type out very detailed info.

Attachments

• 0EE17592-2081-4951-939A-12531FA8AA95.jpeg
    0EE17592-2081-4951-939A-12531FA8AA95.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 8395BFFF-3AE0-444F-AADB-0996D199300C.jpeg
    8395BFFF-3AE0-444F-AADB-0996D199300C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Very nice looking enclosure. If you havent yet, be sure to read our caresheet. By the looks of the enclosure I think you already did.
Just be sure temps never below 80, basking 95-100, humidity 80%, daily warm water soaks, and a good varied diet
Btw, we have lots of Texas members.

m_bhayes

Texas
Congrats. Very nice looking enclosure. If you havent yet, be sure to read our caresheet. By the looks of the enclosure I think you already did.
Just be sure temps never below 80, basking 95-100, humidity 80%, daily warm water soaks, and a good varied diet
Btw, we have lots of Texas members.
The sulcata care sheet was an eye opener for us! Thank you ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hey there everyone! Just picked up my first sulcata (Leonardo aka Leo) and my family is in love with him especially my son who is autistic. We are very excited to watch him grow and get accustomed to his new forever home ? We live in Texas btw is anyone else on here from the Lonestar state?

I’ve read plenty of posts on here and very thankful I stumbled across this forum page thank you for all that you do to take the time to type out very detailed info.
Congrats & welcome. A very nice looking home for your cute tort!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby.

I'd get rid of the moss. They eat it, it can cause impaction, and it doesn't do anything that your substrate doesn't already do.

The gravel is also an impaction hazard as your tort grows.

Did you buy from someone who soaks daily and keeps them in a humid closed chamber?

m_bhayes

Texas
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby.

I'd get rid of the moss. They eat it, it can cause impaction, and it doesn't do anything that your substrate doesn't already do.

The gravel is also an impaction hazard as your tort grows.

Did you buy from someone who soaks daily and keeps them in a humid closed chamber?
Okay thanks for the good advice. We bought it from a local pet store that houses mostly tropical pets that is well trusted and reputable ?? They may have out did themselves with our enclosure. Thanks again for the tip!