Brainstorming: Big indoor spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Housing larger tortoises indoors is tough for a lot of keepers. Tables are not quite big enough or too hard to heat/humidify, few of us can afford to heat/humidify an entire room, etc, and costs of larger spaces can be pretty dang high.

This is a brainstorm idea of one possibility. I have not made it, but offer it as an idea generator or discussion point.

Lets assume you are making an 8x8 space in a typical midwestern home, possibly in the basement.

- Buy a bunch of 2x4 or 4x8 panels of pink or blue rigid foam insulation from the home center.
- Get some 8' plywood and cut 4 pieces that are 8' by about 16" to make the lower walls.
- Get some 2x2 lumber for framing.

1. Make a simple square box with the plywood wherever you want the habitat
2. Lay at least one layer of foam in the bottom (more if you are working on a cold floor)
3. Cover the floor and inner walls with a single piece of plastic to make a 'bathtub'.
4. Make a shell of a house about 8x8x6 or more high with the 2x2s
5. Attach the rigid foam to the shell, including the top, adding more 2x2s as needed at joints or for strength.
6. Use duct or similar tape on all foam board joints to minimize heat loss.
7. Screw in boards or 2x2s to attach lights, heaters, etc. to. Add a shelf or two for heaters, humidifiers, etc. (space under the shelves can act as hides)
8. Cut a large door in the foam and use tape to make hinges.
9. Cut large openings where they make the most sense for windows and tape clear film over them. (Consider a window on the door as well). I would definitely add a 'picture window' where I could sit and watch them in comfort)

I would heat/humidify this room with a small utility heater with a thermostat and a small room humidifier, both sitting on a shelf. I would light it with a couple drop lights on timers for most of the lighting and long low-output UVB on the walls about 12-18" above the substrate (in an 8x8 room, I would put about a 3-4' bulb on each wall)

The room would not be air-tight, and it would be simple to add some air intake holes down low, and some vent holes up high if I needed more airflow.

Load it up with several inches of clean cypress, add a bunch of plants in pots or hanging from the racks, sink in a large plant saucer for the pool, and it would be ready to rock!

I would probably also add a bench or camp chair in a corner I can sit in and watch, especially on cold days when it would be like my own personal sauna!

(A thought- if you used something like a painter's canvas cloth under the plastic film, you could pick up all the substrate with some helpers and carry it outside to discard it.)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow, that's a great idea. I may have to improvise though. The indoor enclosure I want has to be my carport transformed into another room. Unless, I can get away with Making the room, provided your enclosure will work for my sullies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love your idea. I really love the chair. Set up chair, table, umbrella and margarita and it would be a great enjoyable winter enclosure for both.
Do you think though, that the foam insulation on the floor would hold a larger tort like the Sullies or little smaller like the leopards? I don't personally know how strong that stuff is.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Wellingon- you might want to put the foam on floor, then a layer of plywood, then the plastic, etc. for heavier species, or, for that matter, if we plan to walk in there more- as in a patio idea.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
The pink and blue insulating foam boards are very durable, I use them as a buffer between a concrete floor and a 500 gallon portable vinyl fish pond. To dent it, you'd have to concentrate alot of pressure on a very small area.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sounds like you aimed for more of a tropical species red foots I'm guessing lol, but it would be very interesting to see a room dedicated to a tortoises like this almost like an indoor jungle in your basement. Maybe even a little pond with a stream going down the middle, now you got me thinking lol

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Ah I get ya now, your trying to make a hot box, an insulated shed inside, yes? A few suggestions: Insulating foam is pretty sturdy but I wouldn't trust it as a stand alone wall, even with 2x2 framing. I would suggest, going at this from a seasonal setup that you can take apart, switching some things around.

You can pre-make 10 4'x8' flats/walls. I suggest using 2"x4" for strength but you can get by with 2"x2".

Each section would require:
4 2x4 or 2x2's
1 sheet of luon 1/4" plywood
1 sheet insulating foam (for cold areas)

Money wise, around $32 a wall, so keep in mind that's $320 just for a mobile 8'x8'x8' room.

The luon allows for a solid shell for easier additions to the outside, such as vents, windows, sensor equipment. You can now also frame in a cheap patio door to one section. The door can be easily insulated. adding a 2' strip of luon around the inside bottom of each wall will give you a solid base all the way around. 2 loose pieces of luon and foam will take care of the floor, a pond liner cut to size as mentioned above. 2 panels bolted together and placed over the top. Some variations here and there, I'm sure you could make this room with a door and window, floor, ceiling, all able to be broken down and put back up seasonally into a 4'x8'x16" or 4'x8'x35" bundle for storage, for under $500

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Millerlite- I think a set-up like this would be just as useful for larger arid species in the typical overly-dry, generally cool midwestern or northern home, especially in a basement.

Lasciel- That is a great idea, but I don't think it would need all that. The walls in my idea are not structural, just holding a bubble of heat and humidity. However, if one wanted a more durable structure or more support for things inside, that would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.