Brain freeze moment

Lulabee247

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
My Lula every so often after eating something (not the same thing all the time) she freezes, stops dead in tracks, mouth open a little and eyes half closed as if she got brain freeze or poison or something, during that 30 seconds she doesn’t respond to anything it’s like a little coma but when she comes out of it she just carries on as normal. I find this very hilarious to look at her but I do wonder if anyone else has experienced this sort of strange behaviour and know the reason why ?
she has done this both in enclosure indoors and also outside. Can only come up with maybe she is waiting for a big lump of food to go down throat ? (Greedy bugger) or deep in concentration ???‍♀️

zovick

10 Year Member!
My Lula every so often after eating something (not the same thing all the time) she freezes, stops dead in tracks, mouth open a little and eyes half closed as if she got brain freeze or poison or something, during that 30 seconds she doesn’t respond to anything it’s like a little coma but when she comes out of it she just carries on as normal. I find this very hilarious to look at her but I do wonder if anyone else has experienced this sort of strange behaviour and know the reason why ?
she has done this both in enclosure indoors and also outside. Can only come up with maybe she is waiting for a big lump of food to go down throat ? (Greedy bugger) or deep in concentration ???‍♀️
Is this a sulcata or another species? How old is it, if you know?

Maybe it has some type of epilepsy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a suspicion that the particle she has bitten off is too big to go down the throat comfortably and she freezes as it slowly scrapes the sides of her throat in its downward movement. What are you feeding her?

Lulabee247

Durham
Is this a sulcata or another species? How old is it, if you know?

Maybe it has some type of epilepsy.
She is a testudo marginated and she will be 5 years old this year.
was reluctant to take to vets as I havnt found a reputable one. Took her last year as a first over all check with a few concerns and she told me she was ok apart from the humidity which was causing her whistle. As we all know vets are not cheap especially if you can’t trust them. I live in teeside uk so if there is anyone out there that can give me a name of a trusted vet I’d happily pay more.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
Yeah, I wouldn't trust that vet. Humidity alone shouldn't cause them to whistle.
If she's whistling when she's trying to breathe, she could have a RI. That's usually caused by cool and damp conditions.
Is your tortoise still eating, pooping, and acting normal? It does sound like she's just having some trouble swallowing her food. Maybe chopping up her food into smaller pieces would help?

Lulabee247

Durham
Yeah, I wouldn't trust that vet. Humidity alone shouldn't cause them to whistle.
If she's whistling when she's trying to breathe, she could have a RI. That's usually caused by cool and damp conditions.
Is your tortoise still eating, pooping, and acting normal? It does sound like she's just having some trouble swallowing her food. Maybe chopping up her food into smaller pieces would help?
Yes vet says whistling is down to humidity balance. I’m trying to work on that but obviously it will take time but I’m on the right tracked for that. I have been chopping up food into smaller pieces from now on. She is eating, popping, and walking as what I think normal is. There’s no strange behaviour going on. It just looks a bit concerning that’s all x