Boy or Girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I posted this in the general forum with minimal response so I figured I'd take a shot here as well. You may have read my other threads about my small Russian tortoise that was bullied by its larger companion. It's 2 years old and only weighs about 90 grams. I think it's on a track to better health but I'm wondering if you can help me determine gender. I had been thinking it was a male because of the barb at the end of its tail but I've since read that females can have that too. Everything else looks female but it is still small (3 inches long). I wonder if the cloaca might give it away at this point but I'm not sure. If any of you experts can confirm one way or another I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks and sorry the photos aren't super sharp.

2012-06-22_07-40-06_51.jpg

2012-06-22_07-40-55_449.jpg

2012-06-22_07-59-35_55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Still a little small, but my Vote is Female... I have 3 Female adults and 1 male. They are pretty easy to tell them apart... But with it having a stubby tail and a enough room for an egg; all should be well... I would only sale Male if his shell was indeed Grooving inward. Otherwise I think she's pretty...

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
turtles turtles turtles said:
I'd say its a male cause its smaller.:tort:

:tort:

I'm pretty sure the small size is due to bullying, and subsequent poor nutrition. It's former male enclosure mate who was the same size is now more than 3 times the size and fully sexually mature, though still growing.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
pdelpizzo said:
I posted this in the general forum with minimal response so I figured I'd take a shot here as well. You may have read my other threads about my small Russian tortoise that was bullied by its larger companion. It's 2 years old and only weighs about 90 grams. I think it's on a track to better health but I'm wondering if you can help me determine gender. I had been thinking it was a male because of the barb at the end of its tail but I've since read that females can have that too. Everything else looks female but it is still small (3 inches long). I wonder if the cloaca might give it away at this point but I'm not sure. If any of you experts can confirm one way or another I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks and sorry the photos aren't super sharp.

I would say male

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Way to small to make a reliable guess, but as of right now I would say female.

Daniii

5 Year Member
Hi

I decided my tortoise was male before I even checked him out

I was told that if his shell curves in underneath him, he is a boy as it helps them stay in place easier ontop of a female when they mate

Hope this helps

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Daniii said:
Hi

I decided my tortoise was male before I even checked him out

I was told that if his shell curves in underneath him, he is a boy as it helps them stay in place easier ontop of a female when they mate

Hope this helps

I've read that male Russian tortoises don't have a concave plastron as in many other species but I'm not 100% sure. Mine doesn't appear to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.