Boy or Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

phiraphon

5 Year Member
Hi,
I am new into tort. I just adopted one a few days ago. Still learning about them. He or she is about 60 lbs, but I don't know is it a boy or a girl. I don't know how to post the picture on here. Can I email picture to somebody privately?
My email: k thiemthat@yahoo. com
Thank you so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sure...send me a picture: emysemys @ pacbell . net (without any spaces) and I'll be happy to try my hand at it. 60lbs is quite big enough to be able to tell the sex.

And...

WELCOME to the forum!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Peter:

Here's your picture:

PhiraphonThiemthat.jpg

In my opinion, this is a female tortoise.

Have you had a chance to get an actual weight on the tortoise yet? And we'd love to see the whole tortoise too.

M

Maggie Cummings

Females are so rare in captivity, could you send some more pictures to Yvonne for us? We'd all love to see her and hear her story, so how about it? Welcome to the forum...

phiraphon

5 Year Member
2djqb9c.jpg
[/img]
1zq838z.jpg
[/img]
2djqb9c.jpg
[/img]
2q2l4ba.jpg
[/img]

Thanks Yvonne for your guidance.

280imqf.jpg
[/img]
Hi all,
I just adopted her from a wonderful lady nearby. She broke her wrists and cant take care of this baby any more. She is very sweet tort and LOVE Hibiscus flowers. It just my curiosity to see if I should treat her like a "boy" or a "girl" :)
I am so excited to find this group. I will learn a lot from here.
Thank you everyone, especially Yvonne for helping me out on how to post pictures on the site.
Peter

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You've got a girl there. Where are you located?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Peter:

You were very lucky to find this good-looking tortoise! And you should feel honored that the previous owner entrusted you with her care.

We're glad to have you here with us on the forum, and hope to see many, many more pictures of your beautiful tortoise.

What is her name?

phiraphon

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone.
Yes, I feel very lucky that the previous owner let me adopted her. Bruin is her name and she is very sweet girl.
Now, questions :)
- Is it normal that she is going to bed at around 5 PM and she won't wake yp until 8 AM. Is that anything I should worry about?
- I know she is grazing and eating almost any plants. Is it any plants that it might harm her. I have an Angel Trumpet bush that I know is very poison to dogs and cats. How about tortoise? I don't have problem taking it out for Bruin's safety.
- How often do I need to soak her in the water?
Thank you everyone for the warm welcoming. I am in Orange County , CA. Anyone close by?
Thanks again,
Peter

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hi Peter, she is beautiful. Yes there is poison plants that will harm her and yes angel trumpet is one of them. Good rule is if it is poison to dogs than don't trust it to torts. You can google for lists of toxic and non-toxic plants for torts. Grass and weeds should make up most of her diet. I can tell you spinach, cabbage's and fruit is out, not good for them at all. Pumpkin and squash now and then is fine. Some give fruit as special treats but I don't, I use squash & pumpkin for treats. Another good food is cactus, in the wild they eat a lot and it is really good for them. I grow prickly pear,christmas cactus, hen & chicks and aloe for mine. As far as soaks you could soak her every day if you want but at her size just make sure she has a water bowl that she can sit in like a large bird bath top (shallow one) or a extra large flower pot bottom sunk into the ground. On hot days you can spray her with the hose or set up a sprinkler on a timer to keep her cool. If there are any plants or weeds that you are unsure of you can post a pic and someone will tell you if it is safe. Good luck :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
phiraphon said:
- Is it normal that she is going to bed at around 5 PM and she won't wake yp until 8 AM. Is that anything I should worry about?

Yes, that is quite normal. My sulcata comes out around 9a, grazes and walks around the enclosure, then goes back in. He comes back out around 7p and grazes some more and marches around some more, then he goes back in for the night.

phiraphon said:
- How often do I need to soak her in the water?
Thank you everyone for the warm welcoming. I am in Orange County , CA. Anyone close by?
Thanks again,
Peter

At her size, you don't need to soak her. Just get a big container (I use the plastic lid off a large garbage dumpster) and dig it into the ground so that it is flush and she can walk into it. You need to clean it every day because they LOVE to poop in their drinking water!!

There are quite a few Southern California forum members. You're in good company!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Peter.

-Mine are on about the same schedual as Yvonnes, but it does vary depending on the weather and time of year.

-You should ID and figure out toxicity on EVERY plant that Bruin can come in contact with. Sometimes tortoises (especially hungry sulcatas) will eat things they shouldn't.

-My adults won't touch standing water. I made them big tubs to soak in and drink from, but they just come running and drink out of muddy puddles from the hose. I soak them twice a week in hot weather and spray them whenever I have the hose and they are nearby.

I'm up in Santa Clarita, not too far from you.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Welcome to the forum! RV is so excited to have another girl here! Keep asking questions, and keep posting pics! They are greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.