Boy or girl?

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just got this Sulcata the other day from someone who couldn't keep it anymore. It was getting too big for their enclosure and they don't live somewhere where it can live outside.

I'm wondering if it's a boy or a girl. I never have been good at sexing them. I would have to measure to know for sure but I would guess it is about a foot long give or take.

Here are some pictures ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470445457.576873.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470445539.383327.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470445549.352646.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a nice looking tortoise. The anal scutes have grown in an unusual way. I'm curious to see how they develop over the next few years.

Can you give us an estimate of tail length? I can't see it in the pictures. Is it 2" and laying along the back of the thigh, or is it a 1/2" and sticking out like a little stub?

It is ready to live outside full time with a heated night box. Here is one example:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have been calling him/her Tortie. I moved Tortie outside when I got him/her. I have 2 other sulcatas that are similar in size and I have had them outside full time for a few years now. thanks for the night box link. we are getting ready to move in about a month or so to our new 10 acre property. i am very excited about the move. I will need to build new night boxes for everyone when we get over there.

the anal scutes on Tortie are very different than the other sulcatas I have seen. the opening they create is very small so is difficult to see the tail. it doesn't help that Tortie likes to keep his/her tail tucked away. I gave Tortie a good soak and tried to scrub away some of the dirt to make it easier to see the tail. then I propped him/her up on something to try to get a better picture looking up from below. if I put Tortie on his/her back he/she sucks into the shell and tucks that tail out of view.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's looking very female.

I've found the best way to get tail pics is to have one person hold the tortoise with its carapace against their chest and the tortoise's head pointing up toward the sky. The second person can then usually get a good angle on the tail. I hate flipping them on their backs.

I hope those anal scutes open up a bit over the next couple years, or this one will have a tough time passing large bowel movements or eggs. Something for you to keep an eye on. Lots of good reptile vets in AZ that might be able to help if some intervention is needed. Just make sure that area isn't getting blocked up due to the narrow opening in the scutes there.

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Arizona
I will make sure to keep a close eye on her rear end. there was a fair amount of poop and dirt back there when I scrubbed her down. im guessing her anal scute shape is at least partially to blame for that.

im in the Tucson area. there are a couple good vets out here that I have taken reptiles to in the past so I know she will be in good hands if those scutes need intervention in the future.