Boy or girl of newly adopted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Just got Wren from a family who could not take care of her due to life change event. Wren was bought from a local Scale & Nails shop. It looks like it is a wild caught. The family was told at the store that it is a girl but I was not sure. Wren is about 4" x 3.5". I have not weigh her yet.

For all the experts out there, what is your take, boy or girl? From the picture below, you may notice a white area on her shell and another piece of shell broken at the tail area, though seems to have healed.

mobile001.jpgmobile002.jpgmobile003.jpgmobile004.jpgmobile006.jpgmobile009.jpgmobile010.jpgmobile011.jpgmobile014.jpgmobile017.jpgmobile019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I'm often wrong, but I'll go with male. Just wanted to mention, the sex of the tort does not change as mentioned above. It just sometimes takes a long time for sexual characteristics to become more obvious :)

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
I lean towards Wren as boy as well when I first saw Wren, even though the family who owned her before were sure about Wren being a girl.

At this age and size (SCL measured at 4 1/2"), it is difficult to be sure but this one does give away a lot already at this age. I had LuLu last year about the same SCL size and I was more than 99% sure that LuLu is a girl.

Just for comparison, I posted LuLu's pictures below.

lu3.jpglu2.jpglu1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Someone told me an easy way to judge difference between male and female Russians. In the male, the tail has a nice conical shape to it, female tails look like they start to form the larger end of the cone, but instead of tapering down symmetrically, they abruptly come to an end. I still don't really have the eye for it, lol.

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
I can see why someone looking at only the underside pics might say girl. BUT, the size of the tail in the pic 7th from left says otherwise. I think its a still developing male.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
With the way the tail "folds" over so much I'd say male. Too long in my opinion to be a female.

Status
Not open for further replies.