Boxie With Inverted Rectum

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
This morning I found my GF's 3Toed Russian Boxie having a bad morning. His rectum was inverted to the point of forming 2 tight bubbles and bleeding sometimes.

Never saw this condition this bad.

I took him home to keep an eye on him till we can get him to the vet tomorrow.

Soaking for an hour and still no excretions. Do boxes not benefit from regular soakings? He has relaxed now and retracted the tissue and sometimes inverts it. Must be painful right now.

I'll soak again later.

Is there a good online source of husbandry information for 3Toes?

Gonzo is at least 50 according to the last vet when he was rescued. Same vet said he's a Russian 3Toed Boxie. I'm thinking Terrapene carolina triunguis because I cannot find a Russian reference.

Any assistance for his recovery will help greatly.

Attachments

• Gonzo.jpg
    Gonzo.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 89

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are you sure its the rectum and not him being a boy?
If he continues, he may be trying to push out a stone or something.. might be blocked.. is he still eating? try canned plain pumkin.. it helps if he is constipated.
it it comes out and stays out... keep it moist.. also, sugar helps to reduce swelling to get it back in..

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Laura said:
are you sure its the rectum and not him being a boy?
If he continues, he may be trying to push out a stone or something.. might be blocked.. is he still eating? try canned plain pumkin.. it helps if he is constipated.
it it comes out and stays out... keep it moist.. also, sugar helps to reduce swelling to get it back in..

I had thought by the way this picture looks that it might be just nocturnal penile tumescence.

He must have an appetite because he was searching his dish tis morning. The scratching is what alerted me. Now he is just wondering about his temporary enclosure. I'm sure he'll eat when he settles down.

Thanks Laura. Didn't even think about giving squash to reptiles. It's a good helper for chubby dogs. I'll get some today when I pick up this weeks truckload of greens for myself and my non-people children.

Attachments

• Gonzo2.jpg
    Gonzo2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 76

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Phillip:

First of all, your little turtle is NOT a Russian. It is an American 3 toed box turtle.

You need to get that prolapse to shrink ASAP, and don't allow it to dry out. That is NOT the penis. Make a paste of powdered sugar, a thick paste and cover the prolapse with it, but he needs an immediate vet appointment. If it looks like its drying out, put him in water to keep it moist. sugar water is ok.

The vet will usually work to get the prolapse back inside the turtle, but you need to figure out why this happened. It would be a good idea to have an X-ray to see if the turtle has eaten stones. Or maybe he's constipated. Or maybe SHE is egg bound. Pushing it back in and making a purse-string suture won't keep it from happening again if the turtle is somehow blocked.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Prolapse was the term that escaped me. Thanks Yvonne.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Looks like his beak needs trimming too. Don't forget to have your vet do this too. Please try to get him help ASAP--- do you have an emergency clinic nearby?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
SailingMystic said:
Looks like his beak needs trimming too. Don't forget to have your vet do this too. Please try to get him help ASAP--- do you have an emergency clinic nearby?

Yes there is a good Tortoise Emergency Hospital in town that specializes. They told me that I'm doing everything I can and that yes an X-ray and fecal sample is recommended. They said keep watching and when it does prolapse again to call first so that the staff is ready for him.

My Vet specializes in Reptiles and is the Zoo and Desert Museum vet as well. Also deals with venomous, that's an acquired skill and impresses me the most.

So kudos to everyone that helped me today! I'll keep the forum updated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't give you any advice. But i can give you well wishes :D. Hope all goes well. Yes, please keep us updated on his progress.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
According to the owner he's prolapsed a couple other times over the years. Maybe this vet can fix it right.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
webskipper said:
Yes there is a good Tortoise Emergency Hospital in town that specializes. They told me that I'm doing everything I can and that yes an X-ray and fecal sample is recommended. They said keep watching and when it does prolapse again to call first so that the staff is ready for him.

My Vet specializes in Reptiles and is the Zoo and Desert Museum vet as well. Also deals with venomous, that's an acquired skill and impresses me the most.

So kudos to everyone that helped me today! I'll keep the forum updated.

That's great to hear! Put their phone number in your speed dial :) gosh that poor little one! They tolerate so much...

My fingers are crossed! Wishing the best for this little one!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Gonzo saw the vet today and got an antibiotic and a butt bandage.

Doc said he's in great shape overall for being 50, and has not overcome his constipation since awaking this year. An apple a day....

Attachments

• image-3690662091.png
    image-3690662091.png
    901.6 KB · Views: 44

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A little tort diaper. That's too cute. Except for the reason the poor thing has to have it for, that's not cute. Hope he recovers fast. So glad everything else is good with him though:D

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I guess he's pushing and and nothing is coming out-- straining. :( he's now use to straining. Someone mentioned something that is like a laxative (baby food)? I can't remember what it was though-- for dogs pumpkin works...

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
SailingMystic said:
Someone mentioned something that is like a laxative (baby food)? I can't remember what it was though-- for dogs pumpkin works...

Yes it's pumpkin. The Vet liked that idea and everything I was doing even though the Vet Tech made a funny face when I said that I have received a lot of good info from the Tortoise forum. Grrr.

Gonzo got his fanny bandage removed and is doing very well.

Found him a great deal on a reptile cage on CraigsL. College student sale. Showcase cages.com is the brand. Same ones I use for snakes just in GF's favorite green. For what it's worth (48X24X18), it'll do just fine for an apartment to control humidity, and he can go outside and soak on sunny days.

I introduced some giant looking meal worms and he devoured the dozen. Lots to learn about these boxies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Gonzo is very happy in his new home. Hasn't left the hot spot yet. I was hoping he would do some laps by the glass doors. I'll find out tonight if he wants to scratch his way out. This old guy is different, he didn't try long to escape the mortar tub I had him in. Just content to bask and graze I guess.

M

Maggie Cummings

Box turtles seriously like to dig and cover themselves in moist substrate, so if it's alright considering the medical condition put in enough substrate to allow for digging and hiding...

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
maggie3fan said:
Box turtles seriously like to dig and cover themselves in moist substrate, so if it's alright considering the medical condition put in enough substrate to allow for digging and hiding...

Definitely. I'm already thinking of making a litter dam to keep 4" of orchid bark away from the sliding glass doors. I may have to add a strip of limo tinting to the doors anyway to provide a visual barrier for him.

His swelling is completely gone so burrowing isn't going to be an issue plus he has his burried hide.Thanks Maggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.