boxie sick-not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
Roxanne is my 6yo/F FL box turtle. I have had her for two years and all has been well until recently. She has never hibernated that I know of and is kept indoors. Her appetitie began to decline in the spring, but I didn't think much of it. Now she has stopped eating altogether. I believe the last time she has eaten was 3-4 weeks ago. She did eat one cricket in that time. She had stopped eating for a week, then I had to leave her for a scheduled trip for a week. The pet sitter said she was eating eating again (I later found out she wasn't). Now I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to nourish her.

Before I left I noticed that she appears to have lost weight. When I got back her eyes were puffy and runny, but not swollen shut or infected looking. Her activity has decreased this week and she just wants to soak in her water under the basking light. I soak her once or twice daily in a baby food or Barleygreen solution with fine calcium. I've been trying to get her outside, but it is so hot here right now. I tried syringe feeding her a baby food gruel. It worked at first, I could get maybe a mL or 2 in her. Then she began to spit it back out after a couple of days. I didn't want to stress her anymore, so I quit. She used to be really friendly now she hides from me. :(

OK, for the set-up. I know it is not ideal. I've been wanting to get her set-up outside, but I have dogs that urinate on objects in the yard, racoons, hawks, and fire ants. I recently bought a large Rubbermaid on wheels that can be brought inside at night, but it isn't set up yet.

Temps: I bumped them up about 2-3 wks ago. Right now the basking is 92 and the rest of the enclosure is 82-86, down to 77-78 at night.

Humidity: 50% inside and right now, about the same outside or maybe up to 60%. She does have a place to soak and sumberge her head in her enclosure.

Diet: terrible. She came to me eating only Reptomin pellets. It has been really difficult to get her to eat other things. I have kept feeding her Reptomin, but also give her berries, cherries, superworms, and crickets. The supplement is on crickets and fruit. This spring she was back to eating almost only Reptomin and refusing all foods.

At this point her eyes look so much better, but she still won't eat a thing. I'm not sure what my next step is. I could revamp her set-up, but I don't know if that is even more stressful.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Roxie, I am so sorry your baby is sick. There are several boxie experts that will help, just give them a chance to see this. The only other thing I can think to ask that you did not cover is, when was the last time she had a bm? My tort stopped eating when he had a stone. Anyway I posted to bump you back to the top. Good luck.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I am by no means an expert, but what about trying to give her something she normally can't resist and maybe bring her in the sun and offer it to her there? Also soaking in warm water usually helps with a BM, so I have heard. Maybe all three together, I am so sorry she is sick, good luck

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Roxie, I have never kept FL box turtles, only eastern, since box turtles seldom bask in the direct sun for very long the basking light you are using may be bothering the eyes.I had this problem with mountain tortoises years ago,so now I am more careful with how I light the enclosure.Good Luck with Roxanne. Len

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Thanks, guys. I had an eye issue with her once when I used a compact years ago. I'll try switching the lighting and maybe dropping the temps back to normal. I can't remember the last BM, she goes in her water and has quit eating so it has been a while.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Roxie":

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I have some Florida box turtles, and they all eat very well. They even hibernate for me. However, my box turtles ... ALL of my box turtles ... are kept outside. I think if you were to set something up outside for your Roxanne you will see a big change in her behaviour.

Here's what I would do:

Give her the baby food soak until her eyes are open, clear, and not the least bit swollen. Usually takes three days. (A jar of Gerber strained carrots mixed with a little bit of warm water in a tub with a small foot print, but high sides). Soak her for about a half hour each day.

As food, I offer my box turtles night crawlers, pin head crickets, red worms, trout chow (softened in hot water), different kinds of lettuces and fruits, different kinds of veggies.

So, one day I'll give them Trout Chow. The next, a salad of greens and veggies. The next day a bunch of different fruits...etc. I don't feed them on Sunday, and they forage around their pen for whatever they can find out there.

Good luck with Roxanne. And keep us informed.

(P.S. You might try Reptomin again. Sometimes you have to take a few steps back in order to go forward)

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I'll go ahead and get her set up outside. I don't think anything can really stress/hurt her any further at this point. She has lost so much weight...I'm really scared for her. Parts of her look "puffy", I don't want to think it's edema around her legs but her head and legs are really skinny.

Oh, and I'm in Central FL.

Is it likely for her to come back at this point? I'm feeling REALLY discouraged.

:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you do the baby food soaks and get her interested in being alive again, yes, you can bring her back.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dont give up on her until she does...
she needs your help right now..

are you using a coil light? they have been known to blind tortoises.. if so turn it off ASAP!
Outside is best... maybe a tort table that is safe and secure from the dogs and critters..

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
No coiled bulbs in this house. I tried one years ago and thought it was OK since it was at a safe distance, farther than recommended (like 2ft). That bulb definitely hurt her little eyes. I put her outside today and she perked up. Husband and I picked out one of two possible locations for a permanent outdoor enclosure and that is the weekend project. We were looking at one point up against the house which gets pretty good morning sun. The other spot is east facing but with the enclosure walls, trees, and back wall of the yard, I think it will be too shady.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I think I'm due for an update! My husband and I built a 6x6ft outdoor enclosure for Roxanne. Sometimes our little Sulcata goes out to bask with her, too. Unfortunately, the weather has been really stormy so she hasn't been able to enjoy it too much. :( I bring her in at night and when it storms. Hopefully within the next week we will finish a open mesh lid for it so she can stay out all the time.

She is showing an interest in food, but I've only seen her eat one Reptomin stick last night. She has refused small earthworms, superworms, half dead crickets, small hornworms, silkworms, peach, strawberry, tomato, red banana, grape, cherry, dried mealworms, a soaked bearded dragon pellet (getting desperate!), and greens. I think I saw her bite a blade of grass. Her little body looks skinny. :( Anything else I can do?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You could try dry cat food soaked in water, canned tuna or mackerel, thawed frozen fish, lean raw hamburger balls, raspberries, black or blueberries. canned dog or cat food. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't rule out taking her to the vet. She might have an infection or she might be impacted, or even have stones or swallowed a rock that's stuck. Any number of things.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would also suggest a vet visit, they may be able to rule out things we can't simply because they can see her better than we can. have you tried mazuri, my boxes love it and go bonkers over it, has her appetite increased? it sounds like she is eating a little bit more. Has the swelling gone? or is it still there? Here is hoping she gets better.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Well, mushrooms have made the yummy list!!! A few bites anyway. She does pass stool once in a while. It seems that she has an issue with her eyes. Not swollen or white pus, but runny and she's funny about them. I'll check into a vet after the holiday weekend. Our herp vet specializes in chelonians.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
By runny eyes, do you mean wet and teary? Wet and teary eyes are usually a sign of dryness. I'm surprised that noone mentioned this, but FL boxies need high humidity. 60% won't cut it. A relative humidity of 75% to 90% is needed.
Other than that, I'm glad to hear on the progress. :D I'm hoping that your boxie will pull through.

Status
Not open for further replies.