Boxie laid an egg!

Deborah S

5 Year Member
I have three boxies – 2 females and 1 male. One of my females, Mrs. Peepers, is 25 years old and was a classroom pet who I rescued 14 years ago. Iris and Tank, who are approximately 8 years old, have been with me for a year and were also classroom pets. Iris and Tank were in horrible shape when they came to me, with deformed shells due to poor diets and a lack of proper lighting.

All three of my boxies live in an outdoor enclosure from April to November, and are then brought in to my unheated garage where they hibernate throughout the cold winter months.

IMG_0095[1].JPG IMG_0099[1].JPG

Two days ago, Mrs. Peepers dug a shallow hole and then covered it. Yesterday evening, she spent 3 hours digging in the same spot, only this time she dug for an exhausting 3 ½ hours, laid 1 large egg and then covered the nest. To my knowledge this is the first egg she has ever laid. What a privilege, and what a sight to see!
IMG_0063[1].JPG
IMG_0073[2].JPG

Mrs. Peepers - Exhausted and hungry!
IMG_0096[1].JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's pretty awesome! They usually lay 4 or 5 eggs, so watch to make sure she is acting normal and doesn't seem egg bound.