Box turtles. What are we?? Help

JTH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Lansing, MI
Good call, these are three toed box turtles. Natural foods are fine, but also fine to feed them good quality canned dogfood and canned box turtle diet. add in some soft veggies and fruits also.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Not three toed. Were raised in a yard and fed only some times. Sense I’ve had them they have been given supplements to their diets because I could tell their shells didn’t look good. After this winters burmate they are happy and active. Thanks for your response. All advice gladly received. Thanks

View attachment 285578View attachment 285579
the red eye means it is male. The females have black eyes

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
Agree that the markings on these are characteristic of Three-toed Box Turtles (Terrapene carolina triunguis)... and it is true that these can occasionally have four toes on the hind foot. But if all of these have four hind toes per foot, then it is possible they are Terrapene carolina yucatana (Yucatan Box Turtles), which can look quite a bit like three-toeds in color. Since you don't know their origin, this is possible... there was some importation of yucatana for the pet trade many years ago. In any case it's not going to make a difference in their husbandry. Although the one specimen does look a bit flatter than normal, they all appear to be healthy and I don't see any issues with MBD. This is a nice group of turtles, and you clearly are going to do your best for them... enjoy!