Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
People are saying take it to the vet for the paint...shell is peeling everywhere exept the paint and i noticed a couple scutes are really loose and about to fall off on the other side. Ive....checked craiglist...people find box turtles all the time around here...keep them for awhile without knowing how to take care of them and let them go

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
THAT'S NOT PAINT!!!

The white splotches you see on the turtle's shell are dead bone. At one time the tortoise was injured/chewed, and the bone exposed. As new bone and keratin grew underneath the dead bone, it causes it to be raised up and eventually it will flake off, exposing the new growth underneath. It looks to me as if it is ready to flake off. You don't need to do anything. Just leave it alone and enjoy the turtle.

The areas where the shell seems to be down lower than the other shell is where the dead bone has already flaked off.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
There is also some discoloration to the shell ( the yellowish area). Is the shell soft or does it smell funny in that area? I didn't notice it the first time (the pictures were not loading right).

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Mr.Tortoise95 said:
I know its sad :( and the paint is on the side that she has scutes. Heres a pic of the missing part....it kind of looks like someone dropped her and cracked her shell? But idk...

That's really sweet of you to take her in. I'm originally from KC. Yay, Kansas! In this pic it looks like a dog used her as a chew toy and the major damage was filled. I hope it was professionally done and someone didn't just use some spackle or something, although I wouldn't put it past anyone. If you decide to take her to the vet for one reason or another, send me a PM. I pay vet bills for rescue dogs sometimes, I don't see why I can't do the same for your new friend...

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
It is deffenatley paint or bonding material. Its in the shape of a j. And no the discolored, caved in part is as hard as the rest of the shell and doeant smell.

Your seriously trying to tell me that its not paint?

shellysmom said:
Mr.Tortoise95 said:
I know its sad :( and the paint is on the side that she has scutes. Heres a pic of the missing part....it kind of looks like someone dropped her and cracked her shell? But idk...

That's really sweet of you to take her in. I'm originally from KC. Yay, Kansas! In this pic it looks like a dog used her as a chew toy and the major damage was filled. I hope it was professionally done and someone didn't just use some spackle or something, although I wouldn't put it past anyone. If you decide to take her to the vet for one reason or another, send me a PM. I pay vet bills for rescue dogs sometimes, I don't see why I can't do the same for your new friend...

Wow ok thanks a lot!!! I will let you know if i take her to the vet...

It could be bonding material holding the shell together if it cracked....but deffinatley not natural.

Attachments

• 20120828_110944.jpg
    20120828_110944.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 39

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
A lot of us have our own opinions..I have read thru the comments and all answers are inconclusive .... some think paint..epoxy..or bone? ..it really it is hard to give "expert" advice via pics....this really needs to be looked at by someone who can tell you by physically touching the turtle....I am sorry we couldn't be much help...we are passionate but not professional in the eyes of experts...

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Okay good. I've seen shell infections turn the scoots a similar color. That's one less thing to worry about.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I'm technically a professional but it is hard to say with out actually handling the turtle as was pointed out. Though shell infections are relatively easy to diagnose by look and smell. Though treatment would be done for bacteria first then fungus if treatment didn't work. The medicine for fungal infection is more dangerous to the one being treated.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
It could be, the discoloration, but as I said before it is hard to tell without actually having the turtle in hand.

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Ok thanks...... Other than her shell she seem to be doing good, eating a lot and getting use to me.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
THAT'S NOT PAINT!!!

The white splotches you see on the turtle's shell are dead bone. At one time the tortoise was injured/chewed, and the bone exposed. As new bone and keratin grew underneath the dead bone, it causes it to be raised up and eventually it will flake off, exposing the new growth underneath. It looks to me as if it is ready to flake off. You don't need to do anything. Just leave it alone and enjoy the turtle.

The areas where the shell seems to be down lower than the other shell is where the dead bone has already flaked off.

I'm with emysemys 100%. Absolutely confident the white "j" is dead bone an will flake off. The rest of the discolored area is where it already has. Don't take it to the vet for that.

Why would a vet be an expert on paint anyway?

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Mmk......sorry that i wanted to take her to the vet? Just worried bout shell...it looks si messed up... wanted to know what it is forsure..

I hope your right!!!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Mr.Tortoise95 said:
Mmk......sorry that i wanted to take her to the vet? Just worried bout shell...it looks si messed up... wanted to know what it is forsure..

I hope your right!!!

I never heard back from the mobile vet, either, so it looks like none in the vets in your area want to see her anyway, which is absolutely ridiculous. oh, well. as long as she's eating well and active, that's the most important thing. I saw a photo of a small aldabra recently with a shell injury, and it had a white spot just like that, so trust that it's bone and be careful with that area, and wait for it to grow back. I wish I could have done more to help. I was all prepared... Oh, well. Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.