Box Turtle Upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...My 5 three toed box turtles have lived together for over a year with no problems. Yesterday, one of the 2 males started bullying a female. I assumed he was trying to breed her. He kept rolling her over & over. I moved him away from her and set her on her feet. He started following one of the other females.
Today when I got home, she was on her back, dead. She had obviously died from the heat (in the low 80's) cause she couldn't get back on her feet. I am so mad at him.
Sorry, just needed to vent
Patsy

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Wow...I'm sure this happens a lot, but in all the years I've had boxies I've never seen that. What a terrible loss.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Patsy...I'm so sorry that happened. I'm a little surprised that a box turtle wasn't able to right itself. They're usually pretty good at rolling back over. Every so often I will find one on its back, dead. But not a usual happening. (There are over 30 in the pen) And when they breed, the males usually end up with their back feet stuck inside the female's shell and he's on his back, but they always manage to get righted when she lets him go.

That's a real shame! So sorry...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
How awful! I'm very sorry. I have never found any of my boxies on their backs like that either. The males are so aggressive this time of year, I keep them away from my females. Nasty boys! :(

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Its not his fault..
Its not your fault...

Some times they just choose not to turn back over.....

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks all
I think it bothers me so much cause I have been doctoring her for over a year. She just started eating well a couple months ago. She had been chewed by a big dog and brought to our animal hospital. She was really pretty and always came to me when she saw me coming.
Patsy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can understand your pain, I lost 2 boxies, years apart, to upside down heat death, I do not know how else to explain it.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry to hear! It's tough to lose one!

Status
Not open for further replies.