Box turtle size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
So about 2 years ago I had taken a box turtle off of my co-workers sister. She was in an accident a little while back which made her bad with short term memory. She wouldn't always remember to feed the turtle, therefore she gave her to me.

She has a lot of personality and is doing great so far. I got her to eat and she hibernated just fine. Even started to kick her fear of swimming and she now bathes in the jacuzzi bowl.

My only concern is that she hasn't really grown any since i got her. Not sure if they take a while before they grow or if not having so many nutrients from her not feeding the turtle had messed her up at all.

Any input appreciated, Thanks!

Attachments

• 934904_10151575248929264_200899960_n.jpg
    934904_10151575248929264_200899960_n.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 123

Tk.dinh

5 Year Member
Mine is that big too... What food do you feed him with? And how old is he?! Mine is apex. 1.5 yr old....ImageUploadedByTortForum1375577899.335060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Turnip greens, collards, red leaf lettuce, fruits some protein I do chicken n egg whites varied diet. I've had her about 2 years so I'm going assume 3yrs old. I just wasn't sure if she's too small since she hasn't grown since ive had her.

Sent from my C525c using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She might be stunted. She is a little mis-shapen. I have one that was a rescue about 8 years ago. He's the size of a 2 or 3 year old box turtle and hasn't grown at all since I got him. He is fully mature and gets really red eyes during breeding season, but he looks like a baby.

I don't know why this happens, but it does. It only serves to make the turtle a little more special.

Your turtle is a beauty.

Tk.dinh

5 Year Member
Rosiek15 said:
Turnip greens, collards, red leaf lettuce, fruits some protein I do chicken n egg whites varied diet. I've had her about 2 years so I'm going assume 3yrs old. I just wasn't sure if she's too small since she hasn't grown since ive had her.

Okay, it sounds like you been doing a good job, where do you keep her? Maybe the enclosure too small? I don't know if mine is a female or male... But that's good you know yours :) I feed mine about the same; some wax worms (occasionally) and mealworms. He loves it. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Add more protein... worms, snails,,,,beef heart if you can stand it. Egg is good. I dry scramble eggs and roast the shells a bit and mix them in. My older turtles love it. Box turtles are also slow growers. S/he is a beautiful little turtle. Don't worry so much and enjoy her/him!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I feed our girl hard scrambled eggs with shell, and she loves it! I try to smash the shell as small as possible.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Mine love hard boiled eggs. More fruits can be added to the diet, too, as well as the live food already mentioned. They enjoy hunting.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
johnsonnboswell said:
Mine love hard boiled eggs. More fruits can be added to the diet, too, as well as the live food already mentioned. They enjoy hunting.

She hates live food, it scares her and she runs from it; she's very picky with protein. Everyday i try to give greens with fruit so she does get a lot of fruit. But ill keep trying some of the things you guys mentioned.

Thanks for all the compliments she said thanks! :)

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I have picky once too horrible,mine dont eat much,i would say...and i never see them eating...i think they dont like me,i have them sice 3 weeks.... My sullies are much better eater,like bulldozers..they eat non stop...how much does urs eat?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Everyday she eats a decent amount I just had to go through trials to see what she would actually eat. The only time she doesn't eat much is around when she's hibernating for a few days at a time.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Maybe try some small goldfish from a pet store - mine Easterns went nuts over goldfish. Put them in her water bowl so she can see and spy on them. She can warm up to live bait at her own speed this way.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Didn't even think of that! Thanks for the tip ill have to try it out

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My daughter's Ornates' diets are primarily based on mixed veggies and earthworms, with Box Turtle Hash about every two or three meals. Once a week they get a couple strawberries each.

Box Turtle Hash

2 cups of mixed UNSALTED canned or thawed veggies (carrots, corn, peas, lima beans)
2 cups of soaked dog kibble (we use Blue Buffalo, but any quality dog kibble is fine)
3 tablespoons of limestone flower

Put in food processor until it looks a uniform red-brown color and is of a slightly mushy consistency. About one tablespoon per adult box turtle per feeding.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Ill have to try that she was walking around and ate some cat food once so I'm hoping she will enjoy that!

Status
Not open for further replies.