Box turtle outdoor question.

turtmcgurt

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I’m just wondering if leaving my box turtle outside for summer nights is ok? I live in Wisconsin and most nights I say it gets down to 62-65 degrees and is usually in the 80s during the day. So is 60 too cold for my boxie at night? I know a lot of care sheets say never let the air temp get below 70 in your tank which my tank is usually at 70 at night so I’ve been bringing in my turtle at night to make sure she is warm enough. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So I’m just wondering if leaving my box turtle outside for summer nights is ok? I live in Wisconsin and most nights I say it gets down to 62-65 degrees and is usually in the 80s during the day. So is 60 too cold for my boxie at night? I know a lot of care sheets say never let the air temp get below 70 in your tank which my tank is usually at 70 at night so I’ve been bringing in my turtle at night to make sure she is warm enough. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello, no those temps are just fine for your Box Turtles to stay out at night. I would put some grass clippings, pine straw, or leaves in an area for them to dig in to cool down, stay warm, or hunt for insects and worms.

turtmcgurt

Florida
Hello, no those temps are just fine for your Box Turtles to stay out at night. I would put some grass clippings, pine straw, or leaves in an area for them to dig in to cool down, stay warm, or hunt for insects and worms.

Ok cool thanks. I do have an area that I put sphagnum moss in that stays mostly out of the sun, like 70%of the day, that my turtle loves to hang out in. She is still kind of young and shy so she hides a ton. So I’m wondering if I’m stressing her out more by moving her back and forth from inside to outside every day. That’s why I was asking about the temps being ok.
I think I’ll go throw a pile of grass in there for her to stay warm at night.

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
My boxie has stayed outside year-round for the last 10+ years. I will bring her inside during hard rains if I can find her, which is not always the case. She burrows near funnel grass usually and seems fairly protected even during really hard rain, but I always worry. She is not in a box but in a walled planter 40ft long, which is why I cannot always easily find her. Those box turtles are sneaky. Lows in Winter sometimes dip into the 40s, even high 30s on very rare occasions, but most of the time lows are in the 50s. As long as they can dig down, they are quite protected. 62 degrees is child's play. What you need to be careful of in a box cage like you have are really hot days. Moisture and shade are important, make sure the enclosure dirt does not get bone dry. Mine digs down to avoid excessive heat and cold.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
it is important for them to have a lot of plants to hide under, so they don't stress out. I would add a few more if you can. Hostas are good, they really spread out. this pic is a year or 2 ago, my enclosure is even more full now.

fullpen2018_zpsrg2rhc8t.jpg

Sleemie

Houston
it is important for them to have a lot of plants to hide under, so they don't stress out. I would add a few more if you can. Hostas are good, they really spread out. this pic is a year or 2 ago, my enclosure is even more full now.

fullpen2018_zpsrg2rhc8t.jpg

You just motivated me to add a bunch more plants. I'm in Texas so that means lotsa heat.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
View attachment 244749View attachment 244750

Here are a couple pictures of where my boxie will be til fall. I hope she does ok out there
That's a great set up u have for her. In the back, I would throw a bunch of leaf litter for her to dig in . You can throw some worms in there too. It looks like a perfect little cave back there for her to hide n get out of the sun if it's too hot.