box turtle on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
http://appleton.craigslist.org/pet/2138274203.html

okay this is the same pics but one is listed as box turtle and the other add states painted turtle. Does the tank look like it is filled with water? And a box turtle is more of a land turtle, correct! If no water, he is living on colored gravel - can't see where that would be a good substrate.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
looks like water to me

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It looks like a Painted, but I can't see any water, unless it's super clean, but the turtle looks dry to me. What a horror.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I don't see any water. They mention a floating rock though. Can we hope (fingers crossed) that the picture was taken while they were cleaning the tank- before they added more water?
Ugh. Someone should email them. I don't know enough (anything) about turtles to offer advice.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, that looks like my western painted... definitely aquatic. I hope they aren't letting it just hang out in there dry until someone claims it..

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Xilonen said:
Yeah, that looks like my western painted... definitely aquatic. I hope they aren't letting it just hang out in there dry until someone claims it..

It doesn't appear they know exactly what it is since they have two listings and one states painted and the other states box. I don't know anything about the turtles except boxes need very moist land and painted need water with platform to get out to bask, and this set up currently does not provide either!

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
I really hope they just took pictures before filling the tank back up, but that turtle looks awfully dry... it's definitely possible that it's fine... mine would dry out when he basked on his log for any length of time, esp if it was a nice sunny day. On the other hand, it's disconcerting that they don't seem to know what kind of turtle they have in the first place, and the picture ON the dry rocks makes me wary. I don't know if they're in your area, but it might be worth an email or call to them to verify it's alright, and if you can't take it in, maybe make contact with a rescue? Even our local Humane Society will take in turtles as need be.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I think they are about 1/2hr to 45 min from me. I will try to get some more info. I am just not looking to care for a turtle at this time but would be happy to rescue it if needed. I am sure I could care for it until a proper home is found. Hubby may not be too happy but if I sneak it into the basement when he is not around he will never know... lol SHHHHHHHH

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Jessicap said:
I think they are about 1/2hr to 45 min from me. I will try to get some more info. I am just not looking to care for a turtle at this time but would be happy to rescue it if needed. I am sure I could care for it until a proper home is found. Hubby may not be too happy but if I sneak it into the basement when he is not around he will never know... lol SHHHHHHHH

It looks like it has a bunch of equipment with it, but I still have some leftover supplies from my painted (he died unexpectedly earlier this year) - water conditioner, some food (a variety of frozen and some sticks), filters for both a Tetra and Rena filter.. probably some more things I'm missing. Anyway, in the next few days I could ship anything that fits in a reasonably sized box if it would help. :D

Shoot me a PM or an email ([email protected]) if you're interested.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Xilonen said:
Jessicap said:

It looks like it has a bunch of equipment with it, but I still have some leftover supplies from my painted (he died unexpectedly earlier this year) - water conditioner, some food (a variety of frozen and some sticks), filters for both a Tetra and Rena filter.. probably some more things I'm missing. Anyway, in the next few days I could ship anything that fits in a reasonably sized box if it would help. :D

Shoot me a PM or an email ([email protected]) if you're interested.

I hear back from her and she thought they were one in the same so does not know for sure which it is. YIKES. I asked how to care for it and if she could send me pictures. I may take you up on the supplies... lol I will keep everyone informed, because if I do get it, I will definately need some help since I don't know much about their care.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Jessicap said:
I hear back from her and she thought they were one in the same so does not know for sure which it is. YIKES.

Wait... so she can post an ad to craigslist but can't be bothered with a simple google search to figure out what kind of animal is in front of her?

People should be required to have licenses before having pets and children.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Xilonen said:
Jessicap said:
I hear back from her and she thought they were one in the same so does not know for sure which it is. YIKES.

Wait... so she can post an ad to craigslist but can't be bothered with a simple google search to figure out what kind of animal is in front of her?

People should be required to have licenses before having pets and children.

Totally agree! She got back to me today and said she found the turtle a home. Lets hope the new people figure out what she is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jessicap said:
I hear back from her and she thought they were one in the same so does not know for sure which it is. YIKES. I asked how to care for it and if she could send me pictures. I may take you up on the supplies... lol I will keep everyone informed, because if I do get it, I will definately need some help since I don't know much about their care.

I see the makings of a new turtle rescue opening up in Wisconsin, that is, unless Jessica doesn't stop surfing around Craig's List!

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Jessica - I sure hope so. Poor little turtle.

Yvonne - I've found the best way to satisfy the urges to take home every animal on craigslist is to enable the collecting of said animals by others. :D (Craigslist is an addiction. I couldn't possibly quit!)

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Xilonen said:
Jessica - I sure hope so. Poor little turtle.

Yvonne - I've found the best way to satisfy the urges to take home every animal on craigslist is to enable the collecting of said animals by others. :D (Craigslist is an addiction. I couldn't possibly quit!)

I KNOW... It is sooo addicting. I think I need to join CLA (CraigsList Anonymous).

I did find a rescue that I am hoping to help with fundraising so maybe I can become VERY close to them and do as you say, Yvonne, enable them to collect. Now I need to find a dog rescue, cat rescue, bird rescue, rabbit rescue....etc. to befriend... lol

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
I don't know about other areas, but here we have a group called the Alternative Humane Society, a no-kill rescue that operates entirely out of foster homes for the dogs/cats they take in. They don't have a shelter and they're always in need of more foster parents. I'd love to get involved with a group like that, but I rent (not to mention I both work and go to school full time). If you own, or have very understanding landlords, fostering for a rescue would be so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.