box turtle not waking up from hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheri85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
hi, i'm new to this site but i wanted to seek out advice because i've gotten a jumble of advice over the years and i don't know what's right or wrong anymore.

i have a box turtle named Whoopi who i've had for about 15 years. she was full grown when my parents bought her for me, but i have no idea how old she was then. she normally goes into hibernation in her tank in the fall, and gets up on her own in the spring. this year, she slept through april. since we'd been having cold weather i figured she knew something the rest of us didn't. but now we're well into May, and despite having placed her in her shallow pool to soak, taking her outside into the sunshine, and offering her nightcrawlers, she's still sleeping. yesterday, she must have gotten sick of me reaching in her tank and taking her log away because she somehow crawled under her mat, and has been there since.

i have a red light on her, keeping her tank at 80 degrees. i also have a uvb tube, but that hasn't been on since she's been sleeping under stuff anyway (i should note that i do need to replace it though).

April of last year she had a problem with her beak over-growing. this was due to improper lighting and poor substrate and diet. like i said, i've gotten lots of bad information over the years.

so basically i joined this forum to relearn everything about my box turtle. i want her to be happy and healthy and feel so guilty that i ignorantly neglected her. so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sheri85 (Are you Sheri?):

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
hey there. i have several boxies that i don't hibernate but they really slowed down this winter. warm water soaks helped them a lot.

for great box turtle care information, i'd check out www.aboxturtle.com or the world chelonian trust (google away!)

hope she wakes up!

sheri85

5 Year Member
Michigan
@emysemys--

i'm living in Michigan.

@earthyman71--

thanks for the link. i'll be sure to check that out. she seems healthy and alert when i do get her to wake up, but she doesn't want to stay up.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would keep her temperatures in the high 70's or 80's. Keep the UVB on mimicking the daylight hours, even if she is dug under. She has to know that Summer is here. Change the bulb if you haven't in the last 6 months. When mine come out from hibernating, I offer them canned white fish or canned venison with sweet potato's. You could try to offer her some worms too. I would take her out and soak her every other day in warm water. The UVB light mimicking the daylight hours, is important. Are her eyes open and clear when you soak her? Give her time...she should come around. Good luck and keep us posted.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would do a warm babyfood soaking... get somthing into her if you can.. entice her with her fave food? worms?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
snails also are good mine love snails (which i just figured out the species of)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I don't have one that hibernates, so I have no useful information. I'm sorry. Welcome to TFO and I hope your boxie wakes up.

teri

sheri85

5 Year Member
Michigan
i woke her up on Friday and set her in her pool. she drank some water and soaked for about 20 minutes. then i offered her a nightcrawler, her favorite food. she ignored it, flipped her pool, and burrowed under her mat. but given today is suddenly so cold (after several days of 80 degree weather!) i almost don't blame her.

she looks very healthy though. her eyes are bright and not cloudy or crusty, and once her initial sleepiness wears off she's very alert. she looked like her usual grumpy self. i'll keep trying though (and i'm getting rid of the leaf pile from my balcony so when i take her out again she has nothing to burrow under).

Status
Not open for further replies.