Box turtle not eating

0nCominstrm

View attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439350101.496239.jpg
This is my three toed male boxie. I can only get him to eat a very small amount of the box turtle diet pellets. He use to eat lots of other things fruits, feeder fish, meal worms, earth worms. Now he won't eat any of it. I have had him for about 3 months now and it's been like month that he won't eat anything else. And I have to show him the turtle diet for him to come out and eat anything. It worries me because he use to go crazy for meal worms and night crawlers. Any suggestions would be helpful

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a run down of your enclosure. Heating, lights using, temps, humidity, soakings, substrate looks to have sand, which can cause impactions. His he pooping? Maybe a pic of the enclosure.

0nCominstrm

I spray a few times a day for humidity but I would like something in the enclosure to increase humidity like a dripper but not something that leaves it completely soaking wet or anything.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Do you know the temps on the cool side? Basking temp? Nighttime temp? Humidity level? How long do you leave your lights on?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
How big is that storage container? You said you've had him for 3 months, where did you get him from? Do you know how long that person had him for? Was he captive bred or wild capture? Do you know how that person had him?

0nCominstrm

Not sure about the specific size it's a little smaller than the 50 gallon I keep my Russian in. The basking is mid 90's, cool side mid 70's. I bought him from a local pet store I visit often to get stuff for my Russians. They said Someone in the neighborhood brought it in and they had it for years. And they had it for less than a week before I got him I don't think he was wild because he can be pretty social doesn't close up all the way when I handle him. Just when I set him down he just goes to back hide again. Not sure about the night temps but It shouldn't be too much of a drop from the cool side because the house stays at about 72. I plan on doing a much larger enclosure for inside and eventually an outdoor but we are in an apartment for now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Double check the temperature. They won't eat if it's not warm enough for them to be able to digest their food. Also, sometimes they really need real sunshine to get them going .

I know this isn't the right place for 'picking on' you, and I hope you don't think I'm being mean, but 50 gallons is measured by the volume the container will hold. The floor space in a 50 gallon tote is barely big enough for a hatchling turtle/tortoise. Not big enough at all for full grown turtles/tortoises. You want something with a big floor space - maybe even two totes put together (by cutting out opposing ends).

0nCominstrm

I will do that. I have been taking him outside on the patio to spend an hour or so. Hasn't shown much of an improvement

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I meant my 50 gallon terrarium that I keep the Russians in

Yvonne's point is the same. 50 gallons refers to the volume, so there are a few possible sizes (meaning: combinations of length, width, height) a 50 gallon tank/terrarium comes in, but I don't think many will have more than 6 sqft of floor space (and some orientations will have less). That's a very small foot print for a mature Russian or box turtle who like to roam large territories.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree with checking your temperatures again. How are you measuring your temperatures? I however am worried it might be too warm. 100 watts for that small of an enclosure may be too much heat for a box turtle.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They won't eat if it's too hot or too cold. My boxies do not like high 80s at all. They are most active at dawn and early morning, and sometimes at dusk. That's a good time to offer food.

How long are you running the light?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
They won't eat if it's too hot or too cold. My boxies do not like high 80s at all. They are most active at dawn and early morning, and sometimes at dusk. That's a good time to offer food.

How long are you running the light?

I concur on this post:) I either put the food out very late at night or I have to set my alarm to get up around 4am in the morning to feed. My boxies start their routine around then and by 10am they are done for the day until the late afternoon and even then not a whole lot of movement unless their is rain.

0nCominstrm

Digital thermometer but I'm about to get a temp gun for more accurate readings. Again about to expand the enclosures but I have limited space at the moment. Small apartment. He ate a good amount today, it seems he just wanted a little more privacy. Mixed the worms with his turtle diet stepped back for a while. He came and ate and went back inside his hide .

TMartin510

Fremont, California
You pretty much gotta build somthing, I got one of my guys in 100 gallon like 50 inches maybe more, and im not even 100% happy with it, he's content for now, but I wanna build and build and build for his happiness. The pet stores don't sell anything that big. One of mine has a cool terrarium that has 2 light sockets inside which is cool and the sliding doors open up, but even that isn't that big. And it's like 375$. I would say maybe a reptile show if you wanna purchase somthing bigger, or build an inside one if you can.