Box turtle needs help, suggestions?

Kembry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nicholasville, Kentucky
Hello, this is my first post here but my girlfriend works at an apartment complex and a tenant left and couldn’t take this little one with them, as you can see she clearly has some shell problems, when we got her she had worms In the front part of her shell. We gave her a good soak and clean and a fresh meal, and I’m trying to see if there’s anything I can do to help her shell. It’s in real poor shape. But her eyes are clear and she’s very alert and active.
A2ED9AC3-42BD-4F43-886D-66E44FFAB4B0.jpeg933BD4FF-6873-4CBC-AF4F-C121794D90E4.jpeg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G , she is an expert and should be able to help. Thank you for helping this turtle.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, this is my first post here but my girlfriend works at an apartment complex and a tenant left and couldn’t take this little one with them, as you can see she clearly has some shell problems, when we got her she had worms In the front part of her shell. We gave her a good soak and clean and a fresh meal, and I’m trying to see if there’s anything I can do to help her shell. It’s in real poor shape. But her eyes are clear and she’s very alert and active.
View attachment 305229View attachment 305230
That appears to be a very old and already healed injury. There is not much to be done IMHO unless you want to take it to an exotics vet to have the area cleaned up to see if that will stimulate the damaged scutes and dead bone to regenerate. I don't even think an exotics vet would do anything with that turtle, but could be mistaken.

Where exactly were the worms? On the black area? And by worms, do you mean maggots? I don't see anything which looks as though it would have attracted fly maggots, although perhaps I am missing something.

Kembry

5 Year Member
Nicholasville, Kentucky
That appears to be a very old and already healed injury. There is not much to be done IMHO unless you want to take it to an exotics vet to have the area cleaned up to see if that will stimulate the damaged scutes and dead bone to regenerate. I don't even think an exotics vet would do anything with that turtle, but could be mistaken.

Where exactly were the worms? On the black area? And by worms, do you mean maggots? I don't see anything which looks as though it would have attracted fly maggots, although perhaps I am missing something.
They were maggots, up under the black or next to it but after one soak& scrub they seem to be all gone

zovick

10 Year Member!
They were maggots, up under the black or next to it but after one soak& scrub they seem to be all gone
Well, it's good that there are no more of them. I would say to just keep the area clean as needed and feed the turtle a good diet and it should be fine. It doesn't look like a fresh injury, but if you see any bleeding from that black area, a vet visit might be in order or you could possibly just apply some Neosporin ointment to that area if you see anything that looks like fresh blood.

Did the turtle eat when you fed it? If so, that would be a good sign.