Box Turtle Living in Backyard

Locust

Hi, everyone.

I have two Russian Tortoises. I've always made sure that they get good outdoor time.

Recently I bought a home. The backyard is fenced in, and it's a perfect place to allow my two dudes to roam for a few hours a day. A few days ago I found that a Box Turtle (eastern box turtle) lives back there; he hangs out near the raspberry bushes that are in the yard. I'm not sure if he's always lived in the yard, or if he was once a pet, or if he wandered in a little while ago - but it doesn't look like he's leaving (there's no way he really CAN leave since the yard is fenced in). I've researched and found that it's not good to mix species together.

So my question is: is it okay to let my Russian dudes roam the yard like usual, or would them crossing paths with the Box Turtle be a bad thing? I don't want to remove the Box Turtle, because the yard could be his home and he was there first. But I also want my Russians to continue to have a good time outdoors.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wouldn't let the two cross paths . You could give the wild box turtle something he could give to the wild population.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
They can climb over or dig under the fence. I'm betting it dug under the fence somewhere. I once watched one climb a chain-linked fence.
Mine climb shrubs, rocks, logs....You would be amazed how they find ways in and out of areas.

Locust

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Or he could give something to my tortoises.

I thought about calling a wildlife agency to come get the Box Turtle, but then I thought maybe he should stay in case there are other Box Turtles in the yard!

My tortoises don't really get out of my sight. They mainly go out with my girlfriend and I while we are gardening. Perhaps the solution is an enclosure, which we didn't think we'd have to make (we figured the backyard would be be the enclosure).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Perhaps the solution is an enclosure, which we didn't think we'd have to make (we figured the backyard would be be the enclosure).

This is what I was going to suggest. Just contain the russians in a different part of the yard and leave the box turtle alone. How cool is it to have a "wild" box turtle make its home in your yard? Man, I wouldn't mess with that.

A friend of mine recently found a native turtle species on his property. We are both pretty excited about trying to find it again and observe it, but his "yard" is over 100 acres.