Box turtle hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Pirate was adopted from GCTTS two years ago. He was one of a dozen juvenile box turtles that someone was raising to release in a park when they were confiscated. Very misguided attaempt to do good. They had all been kept in one 40g tank and many had missing toes or eyes from overcrowding in poor conditions. He had a really domed shell in poor condition with darker than normal 3-toed coloration so I wondered if he wasn't a hybrid or an ornate and 3-toed or something. The reason he was named Pirate was that he was missing an eye like many others. The socket and eyelids were there, but no eyeball. Well being outdoors and getting good food did him good! His eye one day reappeared totally normal! And his shell is in much better shape and has some pattern to it. He's grown so much! "He" is still theoretical since the eyes haven't changed. Does anyone know what kind of box turtle he is? He's not colorful enough for an ornate and he's too colorful for a 3-toed.

At adoption:
d6f401473f490d61075e0c15b753ad87_zps3738a4da.jpg

Now:
5e0d9c8d2d6903c2fd49341dc1dd8b2a_zpsd551d919.jpg

Thoughts?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
beautiful boxie...and he got bigger since u got him

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

I think he is a mix with eastern

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Beautiful boxie. He looks so much better!

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
Eastern is possible, but the stripes are so linear instead of more blobby like an eastern...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It's a beauty. I want to say it's a male three toed. Can we see a picture of the plastron, and a side profile? Good job with him he's looking much better.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
yagyujubei said:
It's a beauty. I want to say it's a male three toed. Can we see a picture of the plastron, and a side profile? Good job with him he's looking much better.

I'm pretty sure he's not a pure 3-toed. Here's him on the far left (last year when he was smaller) with my four 3-toeds.

photo-5_zpsaf1f3cf4.jpg

I'll get some more pics of him tomorrow.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
My guess is golf coast and eastern mix

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It is definitely not a three toed/gulf coast hybrid. It is too small and too high domed, with no other gulfie charachterisitic. It does however resemble a Florida box turtle a bit.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Fully 3toed. I have some with the same coloring. It's just a "not so common" coloring . Definitely not a intergrade

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
diamondbp said:
Fully 3toed. I have some with the same coloring. It's just a "not so common" coloring . Definitely not a intergrade

Do you have some pictures of yours? I've seen quite a lot of 3-toeds and never seen one like him.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Sure ill get you some. My wife just had a baby yesterday so I'm pretty tied up but as soon I get a chance ill post some.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
Sure ill get you some. My wife just had a baby yesterday so I'm pretty tied up but as soon I get a chance ill post some.

Congrats on the baby!!!! How exciting. Boy or girl?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks! Another girl. I have a boy and four girls now. Our newest is Annemarie and she is a sweetheart. Going pick them up from the hospital in an hour :)

I'm sorry a boy and five girls lol, I got mixed up. Six total :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
WP_002429.jpg

all from the same area, a biWP_002428.jpgg variety

Last edited by a moderator:

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Totally green with envy over your rainbow-variety collection of boxies! I wanted to start keeping boxies but the most available it seems are easterns and they're illegal to keep in Maine -_____- (so are spotted turtles, another chelonian I drool over) not sure if other species of boxies are allowed :b

1.1 human baby's (grayson & mackenzie)
1.1 bunnies
0.1 eastern painted (wendy)
0.1 treeing walker coonhound (daisy)
0.1 pregnant mainecoon mix (vera)

Totally green with envy over your rainbow-variety collection of boxies! I wanted to start keeping boxies but the most available it seems are easterns and they're illegal to keep in Maine -_____- (so are spotted turtles, another chelonian I drool over) not sure if other species of boxies are allowed :b

1.1 human baby's (grayson & mackenzie)
1.1 bunnies
0.1 eastern painted (wendy)
0.1 treeing walker coonhound (daisy)
0.1 pregnant mainecoon mix (vera)

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Diamondbp those are some pretty box turtles! Is that a breeding group? And if so have you had any success breeding them?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
ThAnks. That actually WAS a breeding group until hurricane Gustav came around and knocked down half of my fence releasing 2/3rds of my collection :(. But luckily since then I have inherited a few collections from people who decided to get rid of theirs.

Yes I've had plenty of successful breeding for years. I'm hatching over fifty babies this year :) . They are popping like popcorn!ImageUploadedByTortForum1376880457.105132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.