Box Turtle Hatching Enclosure (take 2!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irvine, CA
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Well I bought this stuff -> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TI4ABM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I don't think that Irish moss would grow in my enclosure because of how warm it is (80-90f). It looks really great in you enclosure... If only...

Yeah, that looks like the same stuff as my "frog moss." It's great for holding in moisture and making things look green, but it doesn't grow and spread out. My heat lamp sits on the screen on top of the tank with a basking spot of around 90 degrees. So far the moss directly under it seems to be surviving (a little dry, but no leaves are dying yet.)

You could go to a local garden shop and see what kind of groundcover they sell. There were 2 or 3 other plants at Lowes that I was eyeing as well. I may be getting a free 90g tank sometime early next year, so I may expand again and plant a few different types of groundcover. Maybe even pick up some friends at the Pomona show if they have more box or wood turtle hatchlings :D :D.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Sulcatatortoiseman said:
doesn't mold grow?

It's only been 10 days, but there's no signs of mold so far. The top is a normal reptile tank sliding screen, so it gets a lot of ventilation. Possibly too much... my hygrometer mounted on the back wall about halfway up shows only 40-50% humidity, which is why I stuffed the plastic rock cave with sphagnum moss to ensure he has someplace with constant high humidity. The pond would also completely evaporate is maybe a week and a half, I rinse it out and refill it every week and it drops below the halfway mark.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
In my opinion nothing can beat a natural type environment on eye appeal and on benefits for the turtle. You have created something to be very proud of! Great great job!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The Irish moss is a perennial and turns a little brown in the winter when outside, but comes back and spreads like crazy. I put little round clumps along my stream and it spread down the length of the stream. The darker moss you see in the picture is Scottish moss and also spreads. Last year I put it in Pio's vivarium and it stayed pretty green. This year I'm trying the Frog moss for inside. I also put red clover outside and it spread. I'm going to try to put it inside next winter.

001-12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.