Box Turtle Hatching Enclosure (take 2!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irvine, CA
I walked around Lowes this weekend, and found a big tray of "Irish Moss" in their ground cover section. The care sheet said shade/morning sun only so I figured that was perfect for a terrarium. I put down a layer of organic potting soil, and covered that with the moss. I also took the little potted fern I had in the enclosure before and planted it between some of the moss chunks. I buried an 8" plastic saucer and put the plastic duckweed in it so the hatchling can climb on them to get out.

I wanted to change the enclosure up, because in the old setup the entire 1/2" of water would evaporate every week. I wanted to put some plants in to help keep the humidity up without losing it all to evaporation. Hopefully this setup works out a little better.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its GORGEOUS! Now I want a tank of just MOSS! So pretty. I just love all that green. I'm sure your baby is thrilled!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your set up is ABSOLUTELY perfect. I love it, and so will your hatchling. Keep the moss misted as it has a tendency to dry under the light. Just beautiful!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
I don't know if it's 100% chemical free, but I soaked it for 24 hours and got as much of the dirt off the roots as possible before replanting it on the organic potting soil.

I did notice the sphagnum moss dried out very quick on the tips under the heat lamp, so I mist every morning. I'm hoping live plants will take the heat a little better, but I'll still be misting daily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see Janet Evanovich on your shelf of books...one of my favorite authors! Love those Stephanie Plum antics.

Great-looking box turtle enclosure. I'm sure your little turtle will be happy in there.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
LOL... that moss is so pretty looking I never bothered to check which books were sitting below it... but now that I have (and totally off subject), you too must be upset that Robert Jordan passed without finishing his series. Let's hope his ghostwriter (oh, there's a terriblly inappropriate yet accurate pun for you) does a good job.

But seriously, love the setup. What is that "tall" wispy little plant you have in there? It looks nice... wonder if my torts would allow one to live...

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
I haven't read the Janet Evanovich books yet, my girlfriend gave them to me after she finished them and said I'd enjoy them. I'm sad about Robert Jordan, but I've read very positive things about the guy his daughter chose to finish the last 3 books. It's been so long since the last one, I'll probably wait till the last 3 are released and read them all over from the beginning :).

I'm not positive what the plant is, I picked it up at the Pasadena reptile show for $2. I'm assuming it's some kind of fern, but I couldn't find any ID after googling around for a little while.

With my old setup, the hatchling would spend all his time buried in the sphagnum moss. I'd see him with his head poking up every morning, and when I got home from work he'd be moved around a little but still just with his head sticking up. I'd take him out to eat every other day, but other than that I never saw him. Last night he went to sleep in the pot on the warm side, and this morning he was hanging out under the plant. I also caught him taking a dip in the pool already :).

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Few more photos of my hatchling enjoying the new enclosure :)

Taking a quick dip

Eating some box turtle pellets (he already ate the 2 mealworms I put in)

Hanging out in the pond again

Getting ready for bed (The cave is hollow, and I stuffed it with sphagnum moss so it's always more humid than the air outside)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Good thing your little (unnamed?) hatchling is not frightened by the octopus strangling his cave hide...or is that driftwood?;)

Some of you folks ought to start a "vivarium design and execution" business to promote your splendid artwork!:D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It looks like that moss is growing--is it? Do you have lights on it?

Again, just beauty. I wish your pictures were bigger!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Meg90 said:
It looks like that moss is growing--is it? Do you have lights on it?

Again, just beauty. I wish your pictures were bigger!

It is growing, I've noticed a few stalks with seeds sprouting up. I originally had an... 18"? Reptisun 5.0 light on it, but recently stole my big light from my aquarium because it was too much light for my low light plants and I was getting too much algae with it. I think it's a 30" 10k 65W fluorescent.

If you click the photos to go to the flickr page, there's an "All Sizes" button above them to get larger versions, such as Large (1024 x 683) and Original (4272 x 2848)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You have created an absolutely "perfect" boxie enclosure. You will see the results when he is older, and be very proud. Beautiful enclosure. I love that piece of driftwood. Everything looks so natural. Just wonderful!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Very nice enclosure! I like things that look so natural!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
That is so awesome! Very nice job! I ordered live tropical moss... but it never seemed to grow. Maybe I need more at once? Maybe the moss needs more light? Any suggestions? (Sorry to ask a question in your post)

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
DoctorCosmonaut said:
That is so awesome! Very nice job! I ordered live tropical moss... but it never seemed to grow. Maybe I need more at once? Maybe the moss needs more light? Any suggestions? (Sorry to ask a question in your post)

Questions are always welcome!

I'm not sure what kind of moss "tropical moss" is, but my "frog moss" I got has never grown. Parts of it got brown then the tips started turning green again, but it doesn't seem to be actually growing (it's the darker clumps in the front right of the tank in the very first photo in the first post.) When I got it it was completely dry in a plastic package.

The Irish Moss I planted in the rest of the enclosure I got at Lowes in the garden section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagina_subulata. Mosses in general don't need much light, and the plastic info thing that came with it said it grows best in the shade/morning sun only. Do you have closeup photos of your moss so we can try and find what type it is? You could post it in the Plant ID forum, you'd probably get more responses for it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.