Box Turtle Friends?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
The first picture looks to be a Central American Wood Turtle, the bottom picture is an Eastern Box Turtle.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The first picture looks to be a Central American Wood Turtle, the bottom picture is an Eastern Box Turtle.
I agree, makes its somewhat aquatic I guess. I've never had one so I don't know much about them.

Delilah1623

Well that explains why she does not want to leave the water.... poor thing had bee living in a 40 gallon tank with russian tortoises and small water dish for months. I am so glad now that I decided to adopt her. Although now I have more research to do and some habitat modification.

Delilah1623

Anyone know if is ok to house the wood turtle with the box turtles? Provided a big enough water area is in there?

Dean Wirth

Alberta
the top one is a sliderby the looks of it what made you think of wood turtle? I don't know much about water turtles , but i do know that the aquatic environment is totally different, and wood turtles are terrestrial turtles. i could see it being mistaken for a box turtle, but i bet its hind feet are webbed, if they are, its a pond turtle..

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
the top one is a sliderby the looks of it what made you think of wood turtle? I don't know much about water turtles , but i do know that the aquatic environment is totally different, and wood turtles are terrestrial turtles. i could see it being mistaken for a box turtle, but i bet its hind feet are webbed, if they are, its a pond turtle..
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432262975.110506.jpg

This wood turtle looks a lot like that picture @Dean Wirth

Last edited by a moderator:

Delilah1623

I looked up the central american wood turtle and she looks identical to them. Here's close up picture of her head. The markings are the same as the picture Abrams posted above. Her feet are not webbed like a fully aquatic turtle. 20150521_213458.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I looked up the central american wood turtle and she looks identical to them. Here's close up picture of her head. The markings are the same as the picture Abrams posted above. Her feet are not webbed like a fully aquatic turtle. View attachment 130986
You're right, it's a Central American Wood Turtle, Rhinoclemmys. Some of the Rhinoclemmys are more aquatic than others. The American Wood Turtle spends time in and out of aquatic habitats.

Delilah1623

Anyone know if I can house the box turtles and the wood turtle together? They were together at the rescue for months so any possible illness or bugs have probably already passed between them.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Oh I was thinking north American box turtle, well box turtles are semi aquatic and from the pictures the central american wood turtle looks semi terrestrial, google the species and their habitats, I suspect the central American turtle likes heat.

Delilah1623

The preferred temperature for both seem t to be about the same as well as liking damp woodland areas with lots of leaf litter. Both are supposed to be fine in groups. Diet seems about the same. The only real difference I can find is the wood turtle is s bit more aquatic so I'll need to get a bigger container to use as a pond and make sure I have some rocks in there so the box turtles can easily get out of the water.

Unless anyone sees a reason why they can't be housed together I guess I will leave them as is and keep a close eye on them.

Thanks everyone for your help with these little guys. I will update how they are doing once they have settled in. Butterscotch (three toed) was her usual piggy self this morning. Lemondrop was checking it out but didn't see him eat. Licorice (wood turtle) was still hiding when I left for work )=20150522_075939.jpg

Delilah1623

20150530_175419.jpg I moved my sulcata back into her kiddie pool and give these guys the whole enclosure. Also added some live plants and a bigger pond. They seem to love it. Also have them some live worms and crickets today and they are running around hunting down crickets lol

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That's great. I used to have a box turtle and she loved worms and crickets. She loved hunting :) I would bury the pond deeper into the substrate. And add even more plants and Moss and maybe some leaves. They love burying themselves in a bunch of dried leaves. They are very good looking turtles.

Delilah1623

I didn't want them to fall into the deep side of the pond so I left it raised.above the substrate. The orange thing is an upside down paint tray for them to use as a ramp to get in on the side by where the bricks and rocks make it easy for them to get in and out.

I have some leaves in there but I only have a few trees in my yard so my leave supply is kind of limited right now. These guys I just all recently adopted otherwise I would have kept a stash from fall from my neighbors trees that land in my land.

I am going to dig up a bunch of hosta and sedum from outside and plant those in there too but it was pouring rain all day.

And yes, those are feet! Lol. It was my take on the scene of people's feet while they are relaxing on the beach.