Box Turtle Egg Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawfilly99

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my bunny and 2 turtles live in an outside court yard approx 2500 square feet big - the area used to be a building but the roof colapsed so there are 4 walls and no roof) i have added in one corner a large amount of dirt and am continuing to add to create an appropriate hibernation area the dirt area will be approx. 200-300 sq feet (around 10-14 x 17-22) it currently has enough dirt for an acceptable nest. no other animals except birds and the occasional squirell have access to the entire enclosure. My one turtle is a recent addition. she is not full grown and is missing a foot which healed well. she is named peggy - short for peg-leg. my second and original box turtle named mrs. slowski i have had for about 1 year (by the way i would love to add a male) slowski has laid one egg that I have found (she has been basically buried on and off for several days so she may be laying more) she did eat and come out 2 days ago so i don't believe she is egg bound. the egg she did lay i found about 1 week ago. i put a miniture milk carton around it to protect it from my bunny . HERES THE ISSUE my dumb fianciee did pick it up to check it - no it has not been reoreinted from its original position- and discovered the dent in the bottom has become a section which is now totally missing the shell. i checked and the sac is still intact full of fluid and flexible despite the missing peice of shell. i then candled the egg and it still appears the egg is chalking...turning more white on top and glows orange more so at the bottom and has a dark substance towards the top. i have not seen any red lines/veins but i have seen what appears to be lines the size of what a vein would be...do i still have a potentially good egg? regardless, until i know for sure what can i do with the portion that is missing the shell to ensure the sac does not break when the weight of the potential baby increases? any suggestions as to a substance that can be safetly attached to substitute for the egg?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have heard of people putting a piece of Scotch tape over the missing section. I think as long as you can keep that membrane intact and moist it should do ok.

Yvonne

P.S. You would notice if she were laying eggs. They stay on top of the ground, not buried, and dig a hole with their back legs...deposit the eggs, then cover up the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.