Box turtle Egg hatching debate/opinions/experience

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
Can I start a friendly debate without things going crazy??

Talking about Eggs and Hatching them. I'm looking for peoples opinions on what they choose to do why and any experience behind what they do, please include your area/location because I know not every method works for everyone, in every area.

The question how do you Hatch your box turtle eggs?
Let nature do its thing?
Dig them up and leave them in a warm room?
Dig them up and incubate them?(if you incubate do you aim for any type of sex?)

If I get eggs this season I personally am leaning towards naturally or placing them in an incubator, I live in Ontario, Canada. I've never hatched eggs so I'm looking for your opinions and experiences

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I see a nest I gather the eggs and artificially incubate them. But nine times out of ten I don't see the nests.

One time, many years ago, I put some box turtle eggs and a clutch of mud turtle eggs in potting soil then placed the little plastic container on the closet shelf in my bedroom. Like I said, this was MANY years ago. I proceeded to forget all about them. I don't know how long later it was that I remembered them, but when I looked in the container, I had two mud turtle babies, a couple desiccated box turtle bodies and two live box turtle babies.

I try to not leave eggs in the ground because we have red ants here and the ants drill tiny holes in the shells and eat the contents of the eggs. If any hatch in the ground they are very lucky indeed.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Where are you located again Yvonne? I don't think I have red ant issue mind you I believe I have seen them from time to time. Right now I'm super impatient in waiting to see if my girl will lay so i just over think all of my options lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where are you located again Yvonne? I don't think I have red ant issue mind you I believe I have seen them from time to time. Right now I'm super impatient in waiting to see if my girl will lay so i just over think all of my options lol
Central California

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i think my girls may have laid eggs, but idk how deep they lay them, and i hate to dig them up if they might be ok outside.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
i think my girls may have laid eggs, but idk how deep they lay them, and i hate to dig them up if they might be ok outside.

As deep down as their hind legs can reach. Dig them if you have an incubator. If you live in an area with raccoons like I do they might dig them up.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I always dig about 6" or until I hit like gravely type rock that doesn't feel like it's been moved .... if that makes sense ... still haven't dug up eggs and I've checked 3 or 4 spots I thought she could have laid

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
As deep down as their hind legs can reach. Dig them if you have an incubator. If you live in an area with raccoons like I do they might dig them up.

My enclosure is fenced so that no predators can get in, including mice or birds. so no worries there.