Box Turtle Care Sheet

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't agree with the wet/dry side idea or with the low height of the light. I do think an mvb is a very good thing. I saw the difference it made to my turtles after I started using one, and when they get a fresh bulb.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You can toss all kinds of bugs in there. Pill bugs, slugs, and worms are great favorites and survive and breed. It's nice to find them under the water dish in the dead of winter.
My box turtle really liked to seen crickets. But I suggest, I learned from personal experience, get the very young ones unless you find a cricket chirping all night relaxing. I don't so I put my box turtle closest to the sound and she fixed that problem very quickly.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Question on box turtle foods. Do they like rose peddles? Is this safe for them? My Gulf box I have only seen eating worms. I did catch the three toed eating tomatoe a couple days ago. I have put some box turtle dry food in there now , along with tomatoe and romain lettuce . Have not seen them eat the lettuce yet. I have some roses and was wondering if they might like the peddles as they start to fall.(Store bought cut roses).

vitreousharp6

I recently became the owner of what people say is a Box turtle just how big of a terrarium should I get.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Question on box turtle foods. Do they like rose peddles? Is this safe for them? My Gulf box I have only seen eating worms. I did catch the three toed eating tomatoe a couple days ago. I have put some box turtle dry food in there now , along with tomatoe and romain lettuce . Have not seen them eat the lettuce yet. I have some roses and was wondering if they might like the peddles as they start to fall.(Store bought cut roses).
They do like rose petals, as long as no che.ical were used on them.

Purplechic

It's nice to talk to somebody that actually has a girl turtle is she a boxy?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
It's nice to talk to somebody that actually has a girl turtle is she a boxy?
Yeah she is a gulf coast box turtle I never meant to keep, just take care of her after she was dumped at a pet store, but the species cannot be rhabed and release where I live since the species only occurs in the bottom lower half of alabama and I live in the middle of the state. So she has become a permanent pet, that might go to a friend soon hopefully.

Purplechic

How big is she? I have had Myrtle about 2 1/2 months. She laid 4 eggs and Now at night by 7 she goes nighty nite buried until morning. :( She never used to do that until she laid eggs. :(

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
How big is she? I have had Myrtle about 2 1/2 months. She laid 4 eggs and Now at night by 7 she goes nighty nite buried until morning. :( She never used to do that until she laid eggs. :(
I habe not measured her, but maybe 5 inches, I'm out of town for a few days so I cannot do a proper thing for a few days. You can increase her calcium in her diet if you are concerned, but mine goes to sleep about the same time and stays buried till the afternoon when she goes out and forages. Her behaviour does not sound that odd, if she stops eating then be concerned, if it's too soon foe her butmation.

siberianwolf

Mississippi
I have a 5 inch three toed box turtle and I was wondering if a a 6 ft by 4 ft cage was a good size for him and any tips on getting a adult to eat veggies