Bought some succulents for my Greek tort. How to know if it's safe?

Abe97

Hi guys. I went to my local farmer's market today to get some succulents. It's the first time I go out and shop for them. I live in Canada and I have a Greek tortoise from Morocco, he's 15 now.

I asked one of the farmers if their plants were edible and if they were grown with any chemicals. They checked with their provider and said that they were grown with insect-based means (not sure if that's an alternative to pesticides??).

I went to another farmer and asked for the same thing (she saw what I bought for my tortoise) and she started telling me how the other farmers where I bought the succulents are liers and that my tortoise would probably die eating the Aloe I bought because the milk inside of it burns or something of the sort...

I'm scared to feed the succulents to my tort. Any thoughts? If I can't feed them to my tort, where can I get safe to eat succulents in Canada?

Also, I used the TortoiseTable database to shop for safe to eat succulents.

Thanks!

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
I've never heard that about aloe before. Everything I've read says its safe for my Red Foot.. I haven't tried it yet though. From what I know about aloe it has healing properties etc and I've never been burnt by it. I'd be curious what everyone else thinks as well.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Under the star tortoises section, the Indian community there recommended Aloe Vera as a moderate food, can be given in small amounts.

Greta16

Western Maine
If there's any chance they've been grown with pesticides, don't do it. I think what they say is repot in plain Topsoil (also make sure, no chemicals) let them grown out for 6mos and only give the tort the new growth.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Insect pest control typically is the use of large numbers of ladybugs to consume pest insects.

Aloe is non toxic. I actually eat it myself.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
If you post a picture on here of the plants you purchased I'm sure that people can double check they are safe varieties.

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
I've never heard that about aloe before. Everything I've read says its safe for my Red Foot.. I haven't tried it yet though. From what I know about aloe it has healing properties etc and I've never been burnt by it. I'd be curious what everyone else thinks as well.
I have also seen it listed as toxic on plant toxicity tables so am shying away for my hatchling although I lather 99% pure aloe on my skin and drink Aloe/lemon drink. Weird.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I feed pure aloe sections to our Sully about once per week. He loves it. We buy about a two foot section in our local Asian produce store and feed him a few cubes/sections over time. Devours it faster than Mazuri...

Definitely not toxic..and doesnt have spines like cactus.

From The Tortoise Table
  • Although this plant is said to be toxic to cats, dogs and some other mammals, the Aloe is fine to feed to tortoises in moderation but if too much is fed it can have a slight laxative effect. Aloe Vera gel can be rubbed on minor skin wounds to aid healing.

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
I feed pure aloe sections to our Sully about once per week. He loves it. We buy about a two foot section in our local Asian produce store and feed him a few cubes/sections over time. Devours it faster than Mazuri...

Definitely not toxic..and doesnt have spines like cactus.

From The Tortoise Table
  • Although this plant is said to be toxic to cats, dogs and some other mammals, the Aloe is fine to feed to tortoises in moderation but if too much is fed it can have a slight laxative effect. Aloe Vera gel can be rubbed on minor skin wounds to aid healing.
Thank you!