Bottom shell question

mkaykay

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello,

Turbo is my first tort. He's about 2 1/2 months old. I am curious about his bottom shell. Is this normal to be so asymmetrical? Also it's not completely flat. His bottom right side seems to sink in slightly. (Our left when looking at the picture).
Also, what's the lighter spot in the middle?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444879670.377596.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
@Yvonne G mau be able to help. That certainly doesn't look to me like normal growth. She will know. What type tort do you have? Can you give picks of its habitat? Picks of the top of him? No coil bulbs, right?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The white spot is basically the belly button. It's where the umbilical yolk sack was. I'm not sure on the uneven pattern other than its like split scutes. I'm betting it's just fine but Yvonne will know more

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah, shucks!

Yup, that beautiful baby has an extra scute. I don't think I've ever seen irregular bottom scutes. Can we also see a picture of the top shell?

Nothing to worry about. The umbilical scar is healed nicely.

mkaykay

Minnesota
On top too?! How neat! I also read it's usually in females but was told this guy was a boy from turtle supply... I know he's too young to tell though.
I know we're not supposed to buy from a place that ships but besides a pet store that was my only option. Especially since I wanted a Hermann.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What a lovely little one. Extra scutes certainly seem to be more common on female incubated tortoises, but I have a male elongated with extra and irregular scutes.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Cute tiny little guy! I would keep an eye on it and look back at the pictures as he grows to see if it does anything odd.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buyer should have been advised of this tortoise's condition before purchase.