Bother with the outdoors?

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
Is it worth carrying my small MEP outdoors each day?

I currently have two setups for my (131 g) MEP. The indoor temp and humidity controlled enclosed set up (heat, no lighting), which is near windows, and covered with a mostly opaque top. Natural light gets through- enough to provide a day/night- but is certainly not strong, it's debatable how much UV gets through. It is never in direct sun. Spider plant seems to do well, but the other plantings in here don't thrive and I suspect light levels.

The second set up is a protected outdoor setup with several hides and humid substrate. The air temps run around 70 (up to 90's on the substrate in the sun, upper 60's to 70's in the hides and in the shaded areas). Air humidity runs low, about 57%, substrate is almost wet. There seems to be a decent range in temp and humidity, though not as controlled as indoors, for sure. I generally bring her out for 4 hours or less mid-day, when it's a high of mid 70's to low 80. As soon as the temp dips she's back in.

MEP is active in the indoor enclosure- roaming between the CHE and hides and eating super well. I have not observed this happening in the outdoor enclosure- 'she' seems to remain in the darkest hide available- a partially buried flower pot under an additional shade cover. I once observed her foraging (there's lots of tasty stuff growing in there!), but beyond that, I don't see much activity. After being outside we do a soak and then she's back in her indoor habitat. I've been keeping up the routine for about 3 weeks now,

I'm wondering what other experiences with MEP's as hatchlings might be on this issue- my other species generally seem to "enjoy" being outside, and as a general rule as long as temperatures are good they're all outside as much as possible (which thankfully, in our climate, is most always). I know these guys are crepuscular, and I don't think I was expecting full on basking- but I'm also a bit concerned about the potential natural light (or lack thereof).

Opinions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is worth it. The sun is much better for them then any bulb we can buy and it's just where they belong, at least during the months that it's warm. It gives them more natural grazing too. If he is 2 years and under then a short time outside is all that's needed, and hour or so. After that, they should be able to live outside at least all day and either sleep inside at night or build a night house you can lock him up in.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
Yes, it is worth it. The sun is much better for them then any bulb we can buy and it's just where they belong, at least during the months that it's warm. It gives them more natural grazing too. If he is 2 years and under then a short time outside is all that's needed, and hour or so. After that, they should be able to live outside at least all day and either sleep inside at night or build a night house you can lock him up in.
I totally agree! The indoor set up is purely for hatchlings and purely- supposed to be- part time quarters, in combination with that outdoor area. The other species have their own outdoor quarters, and rarely spend time inside- we have a greenhouse/night boxes and other winter lodgings that allow for outdoors year round. I seem to remember the flip being true for the others- indoors was "quiet time" and outdoors there was lots of roaming and grazing, etc.

I suppose what I'm asking is more along the lines of: this particular hatchling *doesn't* spend any time in the sunlight, even/especially when outside, so I am hoping to confirm through other's experiences whether it is still beneficial and not pointless stress. I'm concerned that changing housing is a stressor without the benefit of UV.

Perhaps I can shift my behavior in some way to suit the species better? More likely to be out in the evening and I should shift the timing of bringing her outdoors? I'm erring on the side right now of getting her out there to provide the option of sun...

I realize I'm writing a novel about this tiny issue, so thanks for the kind replies :) It's a new species for me, and I like to make sure I'M DOING IT EXACTLY CORRECT- those are the all caps that happen in my head :)

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My instinct tells me to carry on doing what you are doing and let the tortoise get used to the great outdoors.

However, I have no experience with this unusual and different species, so I'd rather you take advice from people who do have experience with Manouria.
@Yvonne G
@Will
@harris
@tortadise

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I suppose what I'm asking is more along the lines of: this particular hatchling *doesn't* spend any time in the sunlight, even/especially when outside, so I am hoping to confirm through other's experiences whether it is still beneficial and not pointless stress. I'm concerned that changing housing is a stressor without the benefit of UV.

they don't need to be in the sun to be getting uvb rays , i believe they reflect off just about everything ? i also believe they see a wider spectrum than we do , or can replicate indoors ........ imo outside as much as possible is best for any animal ........

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The temps and humidity you describe outside sound good enough. Not to be contrary, my adults are outside year round. the juveniles now coming up on a year in age are inside all the time. I have not prioritized an outside set up for them yet.

The juveniles have been exposed to a temp range of 60/62 F to 107 F, humidity from low 50%RH to algae growing in their enclosure. They are pretty tough little guys. They will sit in a wallow with their throats pumping air, see me and scramble to the food tile or towards my hands.

I think if you believe your outdoor enclosure to be predator proof, they could stay outside. I think the 'trick' is to have it so heavily planted you are challenged to find them when you look. The micro-climate among dense foliage is very high quality. If they can expose themselves to direct sun throughout the day, they will sort it out on the thermo-regulation.

My outside all the time adults only seem to not think to leave an over-warm nighthouse, otherwise they get it to move to the nighthouse to warm up. Both females have come out to eat in the low 40F and then go back in the nighthouse, only to emerge later in the day (still air temp in the 60'sF and then bask. On hotter days they sit around outside, but not in direct sun.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I have kept my MEE's indoors for several short periods of time, and they always do much better when I put them out full-time. They are much more active and display impressive growth. I left mine outdoors full-time at 6 months of age. The natural photo-periods really stimulate activity levels.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
I have kept my MEE's indoors for several short periods of time, and they always do much better when I put them out full-time. They are much more active and display impressive growth. I left mine outdoors full-time at 6 months of age. The natural photo-periods really stimulate activity levels.
Super helpful, thank you! It sounds like overall, the potential for the UV is much more important than any perceived stress- which may not even be stress at all.