Boston Fern vs Kimberly Queen Fern

FrancescaP

Location (City and/or State)
Livermore, CA
I have been looking for a Boston Fern for my new enclosure set up. I am having a lot of trouble finding a true Boston in a good size. My local nursery (which is generally very good) has offered me a Kimberly Queen in the right size, that it is a variety of Boston. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I don't want to poison the tort.

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have been looking for a Boston Fern for my new enclosure set up. I am having a lot of trouble finding a true Boston in a good size. My local nursery (which is generally very good) has offered me a Kimberly Queen in the right size, that it is a variety of Boston. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I don't want to poison the tort.
Hi @FrancescaP - it's good that you're checking into this ahead of time. Here's the scoop. Both of these ferns belong to the same genus (Nephrolepis). But they are different species (one is not a "variety" of the other). Boston Ferns are officially Nephrolepis exaltata; Kimberly Queen Ferns are Nephrolepis obliterata.

The Tortoise Table Plant Database says Boston Ferns are "Safe to Feed", but they make no mention of Kimberly Queen. The Tortoise Trust list called Safety of Some Common Houseplants concurs with TTT on Boston Fern; no mention of Kimberly Queen, but they do say about ferns in general "some wild species toxic, no reports of poisoning from houseplant species."

If I were trying to make a decision on this one, I'd be comfortable trying the Kimberly Queen. Do repot it though, and wait until you see some new growth in its new pot before feeding it to your little one. Both of these ferns like a lot of humidity (80+%). Good luck!